Freezer Gel Packs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishAC

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make their own freezer gel packs? I am thinking about making some using my vacuum packer and making long versions (that fit nicely in my coolers and fishboxes. I would like to cut down on buying and handling ice this season if at all possible. Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

I fill up large plastic bottles, bigger the better. You can by 2 gallon juice jugs in some large grocery stores and 2 liter soda bottles fit real nice in a gutted tuna.

I don't think the vacuum bags would last that long. One rip on a fin and its done.

we keep frozen gallon water bottles in the freezer in our old fridge in the garage. handy for the boat or if the power goes out in a summer storm, any time you may want to keep a cold box cold. also, when you fill up the empty freezer space the unit works less saving electricity.

We freeze water in empty 2 liter pop bottles and snap lock containers for use our coolers. We have to leave room for expansion when freezing the water in them.

I have 6, 2 liter soda bottles that have lasted for well over five years.

:D I am not sure this is the exact answer that you wanted but I go to McDonald's and they fill my cooler for a buck. Go in and ask them how much they charge and I even had some of the McDonald's fill them for free.
1998 1800cc :roll:

Good point about one rip and its done. We've been using frozen two liter soda bottles for 3 years now to supplement the ice. They work, but dont "nest" nicely to anything. Thats why I was thinking of the gel pack idea b/c that could take the shape of anything. But I think Grutus just inspired me to make friends with the local Mcdonalds!
Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back