From CC to PH any regrets ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggylink

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am on my second Parker, 21se, 23se ... and have always wanted a 2120 or 2320. My current boat is used mostly for bay fishing for Stripers and Blues, but would expand to more off shore for ground fish and possibly tuna with a PH. I know both are very different, but here in Maine it could extend the season just a bit, and provide some nice shelter when needed. Has anyone that has moved from a CC to a PH had many regrets?

Thanks,

Fog

I had a Grady center console and moved to the 2120 PH. I love the Parker but there is one down side. The CC is much easier to fish alone if you are trolling or casting. The house is difficult to operate the boat and fish. A partner fixes that problem. The comfort of the PH is great, both in the heat of the summer and the winter. I fish all year.

A major plus is taking the wife out. She feels safer on the Parker, likes the privacy for her bathroom breaks and getting out of the surprise storms. I keep a smaller skiff for those days when I go out alone targeting fish. I will not give up the PH.

Steve

I went from a cc to a walk around and now to my 2320. I had a lot of mixed feelings before buying my parker. I am one who likes to be in the sun and out in the open and i thought i was goona feel confined inside the PH. BUt i must say it would take a lot for me to give up my PH now. I waz greatly surprised how much air flow you really get with the windows open in the PH and when it gets a little nasty out just close up the windows shut the door and plow through the weather. The PH has definitely changed my boating ways i no longer remain at the dock due to a threat of weather. I highly reccoment a parker pilot house boat!

I owned a 17 Dusky Open Fisherman before I bought my Parker.
It was a great boat, and the only deep vee 17 footer that I've ever seen from any builder.

Hard to compare the two boats, but upsizing by 8' and gaining an open-back pilothouse was one of the best moves I ever made.
Lots more room and weather protection keeps the Admiral happy. :wink:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Good idea if you need a place to stow your walker and play bridge with the other home residents.

:mrgreen:

Well, here's my $0.02 ... I've had boats of all sizes ... but wanted a new 'project' and bought the empty hull of a 2520 I have and had fun rebuilding her from the base frp hull and glass windows up. Over the years I kept adding more and more and more ... to now where she's rigged out as an ideal charter boat or 'semi' offshore boat (mod-V hull) with the toona tower and outriggahs. Ahhhh, but I don't charter and she needs a motor (one it wears runs OK) and I don't want to put any more time or $$ into her. I guess I'm just burnt out with boat projects. For the record, I had a fleet of boats, up to 6 over the past few years at the same time. I fixed up 3 others and sold them, making $$ to fund my Miss Teak projects and additions, and have another 14' skiff in build as I write this. OMG, and outboards too, still have 3 I need to tune. fix up, and sell off.

I sure had my fun with Miss Teak, my 2520, but she's "too big" for what I want now, though I'll be the 1st one to admit my boating lifestyle & wants have changed. In reality, I've been drooling over a diesel inboard Albin 28-footer Tournament Express. But I'm not into the coastal cruising anymore and I'm moored too far from the toona for every day jaunts (if you call 100+ miles trips a jaunt) @ $4 per gallon ... so I'm selling my big girl and going smaller.

I'm looking at CC or dual console boats that are:

* On-road trailerable width legal without oversize trailer or permits
* Trailerable by large PU or SUV
* Easy to launch/retireve by myself
* ~21' hull +/- , with no more than 200hp
* No teak! Nothing but frp, glass, and starboard to washdown and clean
* Able to fish 3 without trippng over each other and cruise/beachtrip with 6 adults or so
* Turn key - needs no projects - ready to run and use and just ENJOY :D !
* Able to fit into my backyard for Winter storage
* Enough V-hull for occasional offhsore trips on bluebird days
* Needs nothing but fish on the deck ...

Dale,

Sounds like a 21 MVCC to me! Or DVCC if yo can find one in good shape.

I am with you on the wood thing. Have had my share of great looking trim. Now I want every surface to benefit from Simple Green, Barkeepers Friend, or bleach!

dave-j":1p3ket8l said:
Sounds like a 21 MVCC to me! Or DVCC if yo can find one in good shape.

I am with you on the wood thing. Have had my share of great looking trim. Now I want every surface to benefit from Simple Green, Barkeepers Friend, or bleach!

No regrets :lol: !

One boat prospect shown below ... might have to sell this CP website :oops: and join the Great Grady forums, haha!

Attachments

• Dual-Console3.jpg
    Dual-Console3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 435
A buddy of mine had a 21 foot Grady CC before he upgraded to a 24 Regulator and that was the biggest damn 21 I've ever been on. Great boat with tons of beam.

jacksdad":7t1xfskc said:
Good idea if you need a place to stow your walker and play bridge with the other home residents.

Whether fishing... or chilling with the peeps, 100 square feet of deck space is a mighty compelling reason for choosing a sport cabin.

web.jpg

Lightweights :) ... 3 guys ... and only 1 adult beverage in the picture ... for shame!

No, i think that's a metamucil!

On a more serious note you know you can get curtains for a cc that make a HUGE difference in cold weather. I don't see a DC being very fishing friendly and you're giving up all that deck space yet don't get easy walk around fishability.

DaleH":1uql4kek said:
Lightweights :) ... 3 guys ... and only 1 adult beverage in the picture ... for shame!

Four couples (for the math challenged, that would be 8 people) onboard for a progressive dinner - apps, soup/salad, entree, and dessert... all with their own special adult beverages for each course. :D
The other guy not in frame took the photo.

The girls were on the 34 Sundancer to my Stbd... the guys were on the fishing boat.
Care to guess which boat had more cockpit space to stretch out? :)

Luv2fish":3dewd7yv said:
I love the Parker but there is one down side. The CC is much easier to fish alone if you are trolling or casting. The house is difficult to operate the boat and fish. A partner fixes that problem. The comfort of the PH is great, both in the heat of the summer and the winter. I fish all year.

A major plus is taking the wife out. She feels safer on the Parker, likes the privacy for her bathroom breaks and getting out of the surprise storms. I keep a smaller skiff for those days when I go out alone targeting fish. I will not give up the PH.

Steve

I run my boat solo all the time and fish around structure like bridges and such.. A cockpit steering station is the solution to making a cabin boat fish like a Center Console.. It is funny that most my buddies who own CC's either have moved to pilothouse boats or try to fish with me from late Nov to April..

Latest posts

Back