Frozen Tab Actuator

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Rover

Reaction score
Splashed my boat today (2520), and on my shakedown cruise I realized my tabs (stock) were not working. I can hear the hydrolics pumping, but the tabs are not moving.

Has anyone ever encountered this situation before ? Any and all troubleshoting advise is welcome.

thanks

Rich

Rich,

A liitle more info will help us. What year is your Parker and what make are your tabs? If they are (stock) OEM, and hydraulic, as you say in your post, then I'm going to guess they are Boat Leveler.

If you can "hear the hydraulic pump" then this means the electrical components in the tab system are probably OK to the pump/reservoir asssembly. I would start by checking the level of hydraulic oil in your reservoir, and inspecting for hydraulic oil leaks in the area around the pump, hoses, and actuators.

The oil reservoir in the Boat Leveler tab system is at the bottom of the red pump assembly. Pull out the black plug shown in the white plastic bottom in the photo below to add more oil. The fill level is just below this black rubber plug.

pump.jpg

The Boat Leveler tabs are spring-loaded in the retracted position and you should be able to manually extend them against the spring pressure.

You have about a million choices for tab system replacement, depending upon how far you want to go now that you have splashed and are at the start of the season.

The favorite OEM replacement tab of ParkerNation is Bennett. But all you may need at this point is a little more hydraulic oil in your reservoir! :lol:

cbigma - Great Tip ! Checked the fluid and and sure enough it was about empty !! No signs of leaking fluid in bilge, so I am not sure where the leak is coming from. I am off to West Marine to get some fluid, hopefully, they have it.

I thought the stock tabs were actually electric Lenco's. I have 2000 DV 2520, and they are the same as you showed in Pic....The Parker community is top notch

Will report back after I fill fluid.....should do the trick.

The actuator can leak. I had a Bennett to leak on my trailer boat. Easy fix (2 o-rings), if boat is out of water.

Rich,,

If you look closely in the photo above, you will see that Boat Leveler recommends the use of any ATF oil. The oil they send with new installation kits is a clear odorless "biodegradable" oil, very similar in consistency to mineral oil.

If you haven't left for West Marine yet, you could probably save some $$ by just using standard ATF from NAPA or PEP boys, or your local auto parts store. It's bound to co$t you less at an auto store than We$t Marine.

I think Parker OEM tabs went over to Lenco Electric sometime after 2001.

Good Luck :D

John

Filled the fliud resvoir and started checking my tabs which were working fine......noticed that the starboard actuator hose is blown. Its pushing fluid straight out.

Has anyone replaced these ? Can you tell me how involved it is amd if its possible to do it while its in the water ?

Thanks

Rich,

The -good- news is that it's your starbd tab, which I believe is probably your shortest hose. Probably no more than 24 inches or so. The toughest part of an in-water replacement will probably be fussing with the clamshell over the transom entry point.

finishedtab.jpg

Two things I would call the factory for: 1. Check with them about the replacement hose size, material type and pressure rating. 2. See what they would recommend for a clamp style over the actuator fitting. I am not sure if the OEM actuator fittings are barb-type or not.

The Insta-Trim (Boat Leveler) phone number is 800-386-7470. I have found their engineering and support staff to be very knowledgeable and responsive. Not quite as personable as our good friend Tom (Tabman) McGow from Bennett, but a close second. :lol:

Aside from the clamshell at the transom, I don't think you are faced with anything more than two clamps and a section of replacement hose. But the hose size and type is critical, and of course be careful when you disconnet the hose at the pump, as the fluid will run out freely from the reservoir.

Did you check the port hose for signs of deterioration or cracking? Do you have any indication that the leak in the stbd side was impact damage, or just plain age and deterioration?

Good Luck

John

John - Thanks once again for your help !!

It apprears as though it was just old and a bit frayed, and not suffering from impact. Its really hard to tell definatively what happened because the boat is in the water and I really have have to strain to see anything. Funny thing is, when she was on blocks in the marina and I was tuning up the engine and changing the zincs I had intended to test the tabs.....got distracted and never got to do it.

I took next week off to chase the Stripers all week, so it could be much worse than a tab hose on the blink !

Will keep you posted on my progress.

Rich

Back