Fuel Conditioner

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
CP Family,

Is a fuel conditioner really required in my outboard, even with a fuel/water separator and a fuel filter?

There are conversations about this to the ends of the earth. I use Ring Free. I didn't for the first 200 hours on my engines then I did a "shock treatment" with Ring Free and my oil turned India Ink black from the carbon it released from my engines. Now I run it at the regular amount every tank full and do a shock before I pull it for the every other 100 hour service. My F200s still make oil with 500+ hours and I don't baby them. WOT is 5800-5900 with my four blade props; but, when I'm trolling the engines get bogged for a few hours. I always run them hard after a day of trolling to try to burn off any fuel. I have also sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs since new and my Fuel % in oil have continued to decline since using Ring Free.

It's your call if you want to use fuel additives; however, in the big picture a small price to add on, especially with fuel being north of $4 a gallon.

OMG YES! Add fuel conditioner with EVERY tank of fuel you buy.

Do you know when your not going to be using your boat and it just sits? And how long will it sit?

Yea....I know....these seem like Dumb questions.....But the truth of the matter is you do not know......Life has a way of getting in the way of boating.
Job takes you out of town all of a sudden----Family emergency-----You get sick or injured.

You have no idea when these will happen, I hope they don't.....You say....it's only gonna be a month...and turns into 3 months.

Fuel separation starts in 30 days....along with that octane levels drop.

So if your engine says it requires min of 87 Octane...and you put 87 Octane in it and let it sit for 30 days.....It's no longer 87 Octane.....It's less than the requirements and that is not good for your engine.

Always run Non Ethanol fuel if you can. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I run 91 Octane Non Ethanol in everything I own. The vehicles do not get the stabilizer, because they get used constantly.

The gas cans get stabilizer in them....Used for small engines and use to be sometimes put in the boat also.

I run this as a Stabilizer...

413hPJBQqbL._SL500_.jpg

Shop repair costs have exceeded $100hr....Fuel problems are probably the #1 cause of need a shop.....[usually because the boat has sat] How much stabilizer can you buy for 1hr of repair?......Never mind the aggravition and runing your planed outing.

OMG YES! Add fuel conditioner with EVERY tank of fuel you buy.

Do you know when your not going to be using your boat and it just sits? And how long will it sit?

Yea....I know....these seem like Dumb questions.....But the truth of the matter is you do not know......Life has a way of getting in the way of boating.
Job takes you out of town all of a sudden----Family emergency-----You get sick or injured.

You have no idea when these will happen, I hope they don't.....You say....it's only gonna be a month...and turns into 3 months.

Fuel separation starts in 30 days....along with that octane levels drop.

So if your engine says it requires min of 87 Octane...and you put 87 Octane in it and let it sit for 30 days.....It's no longer 87 Octane.....It's less than the requirements and that is not good for your engine.

Always run Non Ethanol fuel if you can. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I run 91 Octane Non Ethanol in everything I own. The vehicles do not get the stabilizer, because they get used constantly.

The gas cans get stabilizer in them....Used for small engines and use to be sometimes put in the boat also.

I run this as a Stabilizer...

413hPJBQqbL._SL500_.jpg

Shop repair costs have exceeded $100hr....Fuel problems are probably the #1 cause of need a shop.....[usually because the boat has sat] How much stabilizer can you buy for 1hr of repair?......Never mind the aggravition and runing your planed outing.
Thanks Warthog, You always have the most detailed answers! Appreciate that!

On an inboard/outboard add stabilizer each time add gas. For several years also been adding Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and fuel conditioner. Helps a turbine fuel flow sensor I have in the fuel line, and anything else in the engine.

I top off my tanks after every use and add fuel treatment to it. I used to use Ring Free but a friend recommended the below. Engine runs great and no fuel problems.
https://b3cfuel.com/product/ethanol-shield/
Is that the same as using the stabil stuff? Seems to do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. Also that is not a ringfree substitute right? I've never ran ringfree in my engine. Might have to start doing it.

https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Vapor-Technology/dp/B001CAW2DK?th=1

I use the blue stuff mentioned above STABIL in all of my marine applications and only high test gas.
In PA we do not have street access to no alcohol fuel like you guys in Florida and Maryland

I use about 15 gallons of fuel for winterizing without stabil
I buy Aircraft Fuel which has no alcohol and is already stabilized
also run it in my weedwackers and leaf blowers and emergency generator

The aggravation level for fuel issues is almost nonexistent

You can get a similar no alcohol product fuel at homedepot

Latest posts

Back