Fuel delivery problem 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Catch Charters

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some insight.
I have a 2002 2320 with a 200 HPDI. I’ve owned the boat for 11 seasons. I pulled it out to change the fuel fill line and vent hose. I had the tank pressure checked and put it back in the water. Those are the only 2 lines changed. I had a slight smell of fuel and figured after 20 years it was time to change them. I drained most of the fuel in the tank before doing this. I took out 50 gallons. I pumped it from the output barb on the external fuel water separator into my caddy. I used a plastic harbor freight hand pump to get the 50 gallons out. This is the barb that would feed the engine. Used the hand pump from the barn to my caddy.

Fast forward to today. I put the boat in, primed the ball and it started right up and ran great. Went to go to my slip a mile down the harbor and right before I got to it, the engine sputtered and died. It was almost like it ran out of gas.

I pulled the line off the separator on the engine and pumped the ball 8-10 times. Lots of air then finally straight fuel. Still wouldn’t run. Just a quick sputter and it would die. I even grabbed a clean portable 5 gallon tank to bypass my main gas tank and connected that direct to the engine with the same result.

All along I’d keep pumping the ball. Once I got the air out, the ball would get hard like normal. Then, it seemed I had more air in it when I was pumping it. Now, I can pump it 1000 times and no fuel comes out of the line at the engine separator. Seems like it’s just pumping air. I have 35 gallons of fresh gas in the tank. It’s a 150.

I think I have two problems. The first caused the second. The first- No good fuel delivery from the tank. Not sure if draining it or changing the fill or vent lines had anything to do with it? I definitely had some air. Seems that it’s not pumping fuel now with the primer ball at all but it was before. Is there a valve that can be screwed up from either me pumping out the gas or the tank being pressure checked? I hear there is some anti siphon valve?

Problem two seems to be that the engine is air locked. I do have fuel in the clear water separator on the engine. It’s full. The VST is also full but it just won’t run for more than a second or two. I have a Yamaha tech that is going to come out in a couple days.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I had 11 great seasons with this boat. This is the first real issues. The tank pressure test was good but I’m not sure if I messed something up pumping out the fuel or if the pressure test could have. They ran it at a low PSI. To be clear, I put the pump on the barb that feeds the engine. I figured if I pumped it out through there, the gas would run through the filter and I’d burn it in my truck. Maybe I sucked some water or something as I’ve never gone below 1/4 tank before and I pretty much sucked it dry.

Thanks guys. If I can’t figure this out, there may be a cheap 2320 hitting the market soon!

Portable tank will help determine which side has issues
I ran a portable tank and it still wouldn’t run. I don’t get it. The VST is full as is the separator on the engine. Seems to have air somewhere. Ran great before I did this.

Ended up being water in the fuel. I had a bad tank. Replaced the tank, changed all the filters. Runs like a top

...Recently had the same problem at Catalina island...engines quit one after the other, although I refilled the half-empty tank prior to launching. Turned out to be water in the Sierra fuel filters from boat sitting for 7 months. Drained both filters, refilled them with new gas and engines started up and ran fine remainder of trip. Mechanic believes letting boat sit 7 months off-season let water build-up in fuel tank, plus not changing filters regularly caused the problem. He also suggested venting fuel fill cap to avoid air locks when changing filters.
... New filters coming up...I usually change the filters every 50-60 hours and never had a problem. The problem filters only had 30 hours on them. New plan is change out the filters every 6 months, no matter the hours...Lesson 1,001....

Latest posts

Back