Fuel fill and vent lines

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
Hi Guys- as part of my winter work, I want to replace the fuel fill and vent lines to the tank. The boat is a 1999 2520MVSC and the lines are original. While I am not experiencing any problems, I want to be proactive due to the age of lines. But I have a few questions.
1. What size/diameter are these lines ( cant tell by looking)?
2. Is there a particular type or brand that I should use to ensure longevity?
3. What type of clamps should I use to replace the existing hose clamps?
I can get a rough measurement from top of tank to fill and vent ports. I will just go a bit longer and then trim once routed in position.
I would also welcome any tips on routing these lines, as it looks like the space is a bit tight. Especially at the turn downwards from the fill & vent ports.
Thank you in advance!!!!

I have the exact same boat and year. I did this job several years ago and it is a major PITA. Be ready for bleeding fingers and knuckles.
I forget what size and length hoses you need. The problem isn't just access on the tank side (my pie plate isn't directly over top the tank fittings), but also on the fill side because of that molded fiberglass chase that runs up the inside of the hull toward the fill. I tried taking the fuel fill off, but the hole isn't big enough for the hose to fit through the gunwale so scratch that idea. That would have made the job alot easier. Also, both the fuel and vent hoses are taped together below deck so you either have to pull them out together, or try to break them free from one another. I tried connecting the new hose to the old hose and pulling it through but that didn't work for me, there just isn't enough room to pull it through that tiny opening where you can see the hose connected to the fill neck.

See here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10061&hilit=hose

TimC2520 said:
I have the exact same boat and year. I did this job several years ago and it is a major PITA. Be ready for bleeding fingers and knuckles.
I forget what size and length hoses you need. The problem isn't just access on the tank side (my pie plate isn't directly over top the tank fittings), but also on the fill side because of that molded fiberglass chase that runs up the inside of the hull toward the fill. I tried taking the fuel fill off, but the hole isn't big enough for the hose to fit through the gunwale so scratch that idea. That would have made the job alot easier. Also, both the fuel and vent hoses are taped together below deck so you either have to pull them out together, or try to break them free from one another. I tried connecting the new hose to the old hose and pulling it through but that didn't work for me, there just isn't enough room to pull it through that tiny opening where you can see the hose connected to the fill neck.

Tim's right - it's a knuckle buster. On my 2002, the vent line was not taped thankfully. I used a lot of Dawn dishsoap and was able to pull the old fill hose out after disconnecting from the fuel fill and I also pulled a a piece of thin rope through at the same time to use as a pull line for new. I then pulled the rope through the new hose connected it to a wooden "stop" as shown below which is 2" in diameter. Soaped up the new hose and was able to get it through. Strongly suggest you remove the entire pry out plate (including the flange) so you have more room to work where it connects to the tank. The fill is 1 1/2" ID hose. You will need ~6 1/2 ft. of hose.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 624
I have a 99 MVSC and I did this replacement a few years ago. I may have even posted a video of the leaking hose I replaced. I was able to pull the fill line separately from my vent line but it was not fun job. I don't remember the hose length or the size, but I do remember that I took the hose off and brought it to the store to verify what I bought matched. I also attached a pull line to the old fuel intake hose when I removed it so I could pull the new line through the 90 degree bend. I remember the job being a two person job with both a pusher and a puller on the hose to get by the 90 degree bend. Be careful with the cut ends of the hose, the wire can be pretty sharp.

All great info as always guys...thanks a million!!!!
One last question. What size is the line going from the tank to water separator?

Every time I read one of these posts, I appreciate the fact that my '93 Grady has an extra fuel fill hose already run and taped alongside the original. Don't know if that is SOP for them, but I should probably go ahead and swap the connections. Question is, how much does an unused hose degrade in the bilge over 24 years? Certainly not as much as the one being used.

Brent":3deqnstu said:
I used 3/8 which is typically used. good time to replace primer bulb . Dale recommended OMC/Bombardier. these have 2 valves and made of better materials

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes the OEM squeeze balls are the ones to have..... Not aftermarket.

But lets talk about this further.

Ideally the squeeze ball should be mounted in a vertical position. This makes it work best.

Now.....As to where to mount the squeeze ball in-line. A LOT of boats are plumbed incorrectly from the factory.

I've checked closely on this. Yamaha has a metric length of fuel hose coming from the motor. It's aprox 9 1/2ft.
This is the Factory fuel hose and is not available in bulk or longer length.

Here's the problem.

A bracketed boat needs a longer length fuel hose.

The system should be plumbed...... Starting at the tank. to the Squeeze ball......to the inlet side of the Raycor filter.....Out of the Racor and to the motor.

This is so, when a Racor filter is changed the squeeze ball can fill the filter easily.... Squeeze balls are designed to PUSH ...Not suck.

Back to the Yamaha fuel line length..... It's short

So..... The boat is plumbed ..... Tank to Racor IN........Racor OUT with a piece of Fuel hose and Into the squeeze ball. Then to the piece of factory Yamaha fuel hose.

I have replumbed from the motor to the Racor with aftermarket fuel hose. I use the Blue Marpak brand.
https://www.boatpartsforless.com/shop/m ... fuel-hose/

It's available in bulk at a local marine store I use.
It's the correct dia....In & OUT to fit the fittings, as well as fit the PITA Big grommet in the front of the motor where everything has to be a perfect fit. It's a Low permeation and holds up to additives.

Bad experiences with the Gray.......I just stay away from it. Older stuff use to come apart inside.

Brent- My boat is still under winter wraps, so I can't get to it until next week. But just to be clear, the pickup on the aft end of the tank (next to fuel sending unit) going towards the motor is 3/8?
I am ordering my lines today and want to be sure.
Thanks again.

Back