Fuel Fill Tube/New Questions!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Sr

Reaction score
Has anyone ever replaced the hose from the fill neck to the fuel tank.How did you go about it.I'm hoping this is my problem.When I put fuel in the boat the fumes in the cabin and the engine box are terrible.I have an I/O.We found some fuel in the bilge when we filled the tank.The only wet spot was on top of the sending unit.We cleaned it off and it's been dry since so,I'm thinking maybe the filler hose is bad.The overflow is clear.Any suggestions.Thanks

Mark Sr

. . . ...just replaced mine in my 2320. Wasn't too bad and I did it alone. Ripped the old one out. ...and got the measurement. Took a heavy duty plastic bag, put it over the end and tapped it so it couldn't come off.. . ....sprayed the bag with soapy water and shoved it through. ....

. . ..I replaced it because I had problems filling up and found it was kinked pretty bad. . ...and cracking. No problems filling up now. Good luck with it. . . ...hope it fixes your issue!

Here's the link to my post. ..

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14387

I disconnected the tank side then slid a piece of old garden hose down in thru the fill. Butted the end at the tank up then marked the other end of the garden hose. Presto, that's my length of hose needed, just remember ... if too long you can cut it, but the 'add on' tools don't work as well ;) .

That's a neat trick Shannogan used. I taped the 2 of mine together after pushing the old one towards the gunnel (to tape them), then pulled the old one out, pulling the new one through.

I only use AWAB non-pierced SS hose clamps on fuel or below waterline fittings.

Mark - I had the same issue you are having. After a fill up, I had a odor of gas with some gas in bilge. After thinking the worst I decided to replace the fuel fill hose. It was a very easy project. When I removed the old hose, I found slight cracks where the hose had a bend. During the filling procedure, the pressure caused the fuel to escape from the cracks. New hose and problem solved. Good luck.

Brad

Thanks for all the replies.I was worried that the bend inside might be a problem pushing it back through.I'll have to give it a try.I don't like all the fumes in there when we fill up.

Shannonigans,what year is your boat.Your hose looks like its inside the cabin.Mine runs straight down from fill and is enclosed with a molded box.

Mark Sr

I just replaced both the fill and vent hoses on my 25 Sport Cabin and was quite surprised how easy it was. I was able to do this myself with a little help from a fiberglass rod and a coat hanger.

Remove the deck plate, it gives you a little more room. Remove the fuel fill. I taped a line to the vent hose and when you pull the hose out, you have a fish line. Next I pulled out the fuel fill hose.

I measured and cut the new hoses to the same length as the old ones. Here was my 'trick.' On the fill hose, I left about 3 inches of the helical wire exposed and made it into a small, closed loop. I fed the exposed wired end from the deck plate to the gunnel. When it stopped, looking down with a light through the hole where the fuel fill was, saw the fill hose and exposed wire. I duct taped a coat hanger bent into a hook onto the F/G rod and hooked the exposed wire on the fill hose.

I was able to pull the fill hose straight up to where the fill would go.

Taped the fish line to the vent hose and pulled the vent hose from the deck plate up to the fuel vent.

Double clamped all hoses with new clamps.

Whole process took less than an hour.
Sorry, forgot to take photos.

Thanks Weyknot,that sounds pretty easy.I'll take a look at it this weekend if my son comes down.I'm disabled a little and I need him for anything that has to be done low.

Mark Sr":2gtj6681 said:
Shannonigans,what year is your boat.Your hose looks like its inside the cabin.Mine runs straight down from fill and is enclosed with a molded box.

Mark Sr

. . ..1999 2320. The hose is in the gunwale. I had to access it by moving the seat in the cabin. .. ..

Well my son can't budge the hose.I have a 2520 with an I/O so maybe the fuel tank is placed different.Anyway the hoses that come out from the deck are surrounded my a thin molded fiberglass shield that goes up under the gunnel to prevent water from going under the deck.Has anyone had to remove this to replace a hose?I'm banging my head against the wall trying to do this without cutting that shield out.And if I'm having this much trouble getting this out,how will it be to slide a new one in?

Well my son can't budge the hose.I have a 2520 with an I/O so maybe the fuel tank is placed different.Anyway the hoses that come out from the deck are surrounded my a thin molded fiberglass shield that goes up under the gunnel to prevent water from going under the deck.Has anyone had to remove this to replace a hose?I'm banging my head against the wall trying to do this without cutting that shield out.And if I'm having this much trouble getting this out,how will it be to slide a new one in?
Did you ever figure it out? Need to change mine as well I think where it bends might have cracks and leaking fuel when I fill up.

Back