Fuel Hose - Sealant ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoore

Reaction score
Anyone know what this brown sealant is Parker is using on the Fuel / Vent Hoses ? I was going to remove to check for obstructions, but wanted to reinstall the same way the factory did. My local dealer told me they don’t use a sealant on hoses because the gas will degrade it. So what’s this then ?
aef6ddd79b82cda4ee3e8071e77359c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sure looks like a permatex style sealant to me. I’ve seen that brown style sealant used on intake gaskets before

or

Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant

Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant is an OEM specified product that locks and seals threaded fittings. Resists leakage, vibration loosening, moisture, hydraulic fluids and diesel fuels. (Formerly called Loctite 592) Has even higher temperature tolerance than the High Performance Thread Sealant. For applications requiring gasoline fuel resistance, try Form-A-Gasket No. 3.

Lubricates threads for easy assembly and disassembly. Won't shred or wear like Teflon TM tape. Parts may be repositioned up to 4 hours after application. Temperature range from -65F to 400F (-54C to 204C). Contains PTFE.

As the guys have said....Some form of Permetex hardening sealant.

I wouldn't worry about it. Remove the hose and continue on..... If you can get it broken loose. :(

Parker said this is what they use at the factory.
5468bd594517e4f1e996674b37247b63.jpg

Not to be to picky or off topic but I’ve always thought the rule of thumb was to have the double clamps tightening down in opposite directions? That’s what I’ve always done anyway because I thought it was the best way to double clamp. I noticed that the factory install was not this way in the pics.

shawnee83":58ky1x2e said:
Not to be to picky or off topic but I’ve always thought the rule of thumb was to have the double clamps tightening down in opposite directions? That’s what I’ve always done anyway because I thought it was the best way to double clamp. I noticed that the factory install was not this way in the pics.

Haha... not too picky. I’ve heard that too. My guess is it’s not that big of a deal. Funny thing is.... when I was asking around about what sealant this could be....three different dealers told me they don’t use sealant where the hoses connect to the tank. Oh well... guess Parker deems it to be a good thing to do.

I was going to mention about the clamps also.....BUT be very Sure that a stainless clamp does not slip around when your tightening and touch the tank. I've seen a tank have a hole in it from that.

On the Sealer.....Companies don't do things for no reason.

If they had to pay warranty to stop the fuel smell on a new boat....That's expensive! Thus the No come back....after using the sealant.

I would think that the idea of a hose clamp connection is to compress the hose to the barb in as smooth a manner as possible. IF the clamps in the opposite direction has any effect, wouldn't it be to introduce a twisting motion in the section being clamped?
I never thought about it, but as a habit, I put them in the same direction, and tighten them by alternating between the two until they are tight.

Back