Fuel smell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponr

Reaction score
Hi I have 99 21 se.

I have a strong fuel smell in the console. I also smell in the bildge area too. I’ve tighten all the hoses.

I’ve heard about bad fuel tanks. How can I tell if that’s an issue?

Yes. As was said, do a pressure test.
Pinch off the vent line and put no more than 5lbs air pressure into the tank. If it holds for a while you are good. If not, well....
Had to replace the fuel cell on my 79 Mako 21 last spring...

I’m thinking it’s the original tank. I just bought the boat. The gas smell just started. When I sea trialed there were no fuel smell in the bildge or console.

The top of the tank is a little wet. I’m not sure if it’s just moisture from all the rain we had.

I bought a new sender gasket and will install that this evening.

Thanks!

I have the standard Yamaha filter. I have a racor clear glass bowl I’m going to install.

I did the gasket yesterday so I’ll see what happens.

I’ve opened all the hatches to let it air out.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I’ve just bought the boat and would really suck to have a fuel tank leak. I didn’t smell any fuel during sea trial and a month later when I went to pick it up.

The tank is 3/4 full.

Brent":7uedg3ou said:
Thumbs up

Use a big box fan and open up all deck plates and hatches inside and out to help dry out. By chance is the gas tank full?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi I have 99 21 se.

----------------
19yrs old

The tank has run it's full service life....It's time for a new one.
Most go 15yrs......This is with the standard that boat manufactures use to install the tanks.

There are ways to make them go even longer....Manufactures will not do it....because it costs more and they are in business to sell boats.

You can explode that tank or deform it if you put 5lbs pressure in that tank.

3lbs is the limit. It is VERY easy to get the tank overpreasureized and hurt it......precision equipment is needed to control the small amount of pressure.

3lbs does not seem like much....But the exerted forces are tremendous.

Figure a new tank....New fill hose....New Vent hose....New fuel line.....New clamps.
Have it Coal Tar Epoxied...... 4lb density foam.

Those are all expenses of a new tank.

Brent":ogbzo3zt said:
Tanks can be inspected inside with a specialized camera and best out sourced.

How ya gonna get past the baffles? Most have 2 partisans / baffles.

I have no clue but seen companies offered video scoping services on tanks. Maybe worthless. I don’t think pressure testing is the best either.

You look at age of tank , fuel odor, wet foam, the fuel sender area on top of the tank for failing metal, gas leaks in bilge, water in fuel filter clear bowl if you have one. First, check all hoses, fuel fill O ring, replace fuel sender gasket and fuel filter and assembly for leaks

Back