Fuel tank cleaning?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sow&Pigs

Reaction score
The fuel tank in my '91 2520 is starting to shed crap as a result of the ethanol in the marine gas here in CT. I'm running a 225 Optimax which started to bog down at WOT, and my mechanics traced the problem to a clogged screen in the pick-up tube.

They replaced the tube and all the lines, but noted that there are some "big" pieces of junk in the tank.

They also removed (!!!) my Racor and told me that the Optimax should not have a filter between the tank and the engine's own filter. News to me!

My main question is this: has anyone had their tank cleaned? It seems to me that without the Racor and with the "big" stuff floating around in my tank it's only a matter of time before I have a BIG problem. As we all know, replacing a fuel tank in an older Parker is a major job.

Suggestions?

Mercury DOES NOT say not to use a racor type filter. They do give specifics as to fuel line etc. however. You need to call Mercury or another mechanic.

You already received the correct answer, including page number of owner's manual for reference, on the Hull Truth Board.

Yes, I did. And I plan to reinstall the largest Racor that will fit.

The question is about tank cleaning. Is it something that can be done easily or not? Has any one done it?

I have the same year as yours. Had an issue where my diesel tank was full of crap. Ended up stuck 43 miles out with a 2 inch plug of the stuff in my pick up tube. I had my tank cleaned and fuel polished two weeks ago. After seening the amount of black goo removed from the tank, I feel it's the best money I've spent thus far. The set up the company used was pretty simple. An air compressor slightly pressurized the tank and sitiired up the funk in the bottom of the tank. It was tthen suctioned out and filtered into a holding tank. Clean fuel was then used to wash down tank. THIS WS THEN SUCTIONED OUT AND THE CLEAN FUEL REPLACED. Oops, caps lock was on, sorry!

If you are a DIY'er then a few auto restoration places sell kits that will do the job, try Eastwood Co. or POR Industries. I did a fuel tank in a 45 y/o truck a few years ago and it turned out fine.
Keep in mind it's a dirty job with some caustic chemicals, and gasoline is flamable......
If your not comfortable hire a pro to do the job.
I had the same issue on my 89 SportCabin this spring, drained the old fuel out (last 10 gallons was real dirty), put on a new Racor, added 20 gallons and went out and ran almost dry. Replaced the Racor element again and have run over 100 hrs since with no issues. Keep a spare filter on board but havn't needed it.

S&P:

I don't see why you could not remove other unwanted material from your tank in the same manner.

Good luck.

jim

I got distracted by my young daughter while I was filling my fresh water tank.

Wait til she gets older, I've got double trouble my daughters are 2 and 5. I used to be able to do a lot of stuff correctly around the house and boat. Now I'm working between distractions. :D

BTW a friend did that to my dad's 6-71 Detroits right before a tournament. We had to keep draining the big Racor on the port engine every 15 min. till we got about 50 miles out. Then she cleared up.

Back