Fuel Vent Problem ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob M

Reaction score
When fueling my 2310 WA the boat does not want to receive the fuel as quickly as the marina pumps flow. It appears that the fuel vent does not let air out fast enough to keep up with the flow. I have pulled the cover off the vent and tried to clear the screen of any obstruction. There does seem to be some screen blockage due to either wax or gellcoat finding its way into the opening. Is this a common problem with 2000 year model boats or do I need to replace the vent?

If you can get the vent screen off, vinegar will clean it, just flush it well afterwards. I will tell you I have resorted to a fine SS wire brush and 'poked the holes' clean - haha!

Also, fuel fill problems can also be more related to the fill hose. In order to assemble the fuel fill line, you need to have some 'slack' in the hose, otherwise you'd never be able to pull the fill deckplate up off it's fitting for service. Get the idea?

But, if there is too much slack and if this slack allows a bend to appear in the fuel fill line that can trap fuel (bottom of the "U"bend, however so slight, lower than the tank fill port) then it BURPS when the new fuel coming in hits that reservoir of fuel already in the dip in the line. It doesn't take much!

I got sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated with this on another boat that I removed the fuel line from the tank port and pulled the fill hose tight. We figured we could cut off about 6" or so. But BEFORE doing so, we removed the other end at the deckplate fill and checked it to be reasonably assured it was OK and would give many more years of use.

We duct-taped a thin rope to the tank end (so we could pull it back and not lose it in the hull ... been there, done that ...) and once the deckplate end was OK, we pulled the hose to remove all slack, but not 'tight', cut off the excess at the fuel tank end and re-attached.

PRESTO! Removing the excess slack prevented a dip in the fill line and she worked beautifully from then on :) . See below ...

Attachments

• Fuel.gif
    Fuel.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 3,432
Many thanks Dale H, I'll try to check the hose for a bend. The screen could use some more cleaning as well.

I can't thank Dale enough for this one! My 25SE was doing the exact same thing. I would take me "forever" to fill up at a fuel dock with the thing kicking back. I even installed one of the fuel check valves from Racor thinking perhaps that was it. I couldn't get the end to slide back at the tank, but was able to get it detached from the fill neck. Once that was done I pulled up and determined a bit could be cut off so I removed perhaps only a 1 1/2 and reattached it. Well, went to the fuel dock today and it takes fuel like a champ. Still spits a bit from the vent if you really put it to it, but much better than it was. Thanks again Dale. Buddah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks dale. Now i know why my 1801 will not take fuel when on the trailer after a week on running. In the water, with some movement ,it ts fine. jim

The vents are always talked about, when and how to clean them.

Can do it.

I replace mine about every two years instead.

I just replaced Saturday the one on the waste holding tank. Too corroded; it was tossed overboard.

Dana

I replaced my plastic Perkos with stainless replacements by Orcas.
http://www.southcomarine.com/orcasmarine//default.aspx

Image-934CBD9101AC11DC.jpg

While you are checking and adjusting those vent lines, make sure that you keep a weather loop in the line as seen in this photo.

Image-0BDAD664DD2511D9.jpg

The weather loop will keep water out of your tank if you find yourself in sloppy seas (or when washing her down).
Your bilge pump discharges should have that weather loop as well (see below).

Image-8D441F628E9711D9.jpg

Kevin, have you or anyone else checked these flush styles to see how long they last, or how long they can go before need salt corrosion to be dissolved?

I haven't considered seriously changing yet.

The Perko is about $16 and as I've mentioned in this thread and past ones I've just thrown them away every couple of years.

Nobody likes to fill gas slowly.

I have three fittings (fuel vent, fresh water tank vent, and waste holding tank vent).

Dana

dcunniff":32oi62c9 said:
Kevin, have you or anyone else checked these flush styles to see how long they last, or how long they can go before need salt corrosion to be dissolved?

I have not Dana. This is my first season with them as the Perkos were just replaced this past winter. Maybe some of the folks that have the 'factory installed' Orcas can answer that.

I'll have to look at them closer to be sure, but I don't believe they have a screen in them like the Perkos did. If not, there really should not be a maintenance issue with them.

Next time I'm at the boat, I'll have to check.

Kevin, thanks.

Would be good to hear from others, since the vents get plenty of exposure to wave action on Parkers.

Interesting about the Orca, since the screen is flame arrestor.

Dana

I have had the factory installed flush vent (Orca?) for almost 5 seasons. Absolutely no problem, no maintenance. Love it, no more busting off vent cap on pilings, docks.

Hardly anything is as important as the "reverse loop" or WeatherLoop Mega mentioned. Check boats at next show and look at how many vents go straight down.

I am tired of the plastic Perkos always breaking off. What part number did you guys install for the fuel vent and what was involved in installing it? Was it a big deal? By the pics, a hole saw will probably be needed, but i am just guessing.

iltfish, I sourced mine through my dealer and had them replaced during the winter layover in my dealers lot.
I believe the Orcas are a direct replacement, but Porkchunker can verify that as I believe he bought the parts and replaced them himself.

Yes...I ordered them over the internet and replaced the OEM vents. Will try to find the internet source.

BTW, my vents have been in place for two years and have absolutely no corrosion or need to clean the SS screens.

Porkchunker, I ordered the vents through Southco Marine and installed them already. Only had to open up the existing holes to 1.5 inches. They look great. Thanks for the help

My bit spits fuel like a geyser. No exaggeration when I say it burps a good 10" over the fuel fill. Never once thought to check the height of the fuel filler hose in relation to the inlet to the tank. Thanks for the suggestion. Art

Do the Orca ss vents do any better job of stopping saltwater intrusion to the gas tank because I noticed several posts about salt water getting into the gas tank?
thanks,
Grutus

Grutus":31xnyssx said:
Do the Orca ss vents do any better job of stopping saltwater intrusion to the gas tank because I noticed several posts about salt water getting into the gas tank?

Yes.
So long as the vent line has a proper weather loop in it, you should not have any issues.

inTherapy":brtnw51k said:
My bit spits fuel like a geyser. No exaggeration when I say it burps a good 10" over the fuel fill. Never once thought to check the height of the fuel filler hose in relation to the inlet to the tank. Thanks for the suggestion. Art

Here we are Aug '10 and I still have not fixed the problem. I can say that parker put the chase pipe too low, lower than the fuel fill on the tank, and i'm going to have to break out the sawzall to fix the problem :evil:

Back