Galvanized vs. Aluminum trailer: Which is better

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a new trailer for my 2320. I live in San Diego and currently have a 12 year old Pacific galvanized trailer. It is getting worn. I am thinking of getting a new one and wanted to hear the pros and cons of galvanized vs aluminum trailer. Does anybody know of a good manufacture in the So Cal area?

I've always considered Aluminum to be less maintenance in a salt water environment? It's also lighter which is a plus. I would recommend getting one with torsion bars vs springs as I also feel that will cut down on maintenance. All JMO. Good luck

My rule of thumb is:
If you've got a pretty boat and don't have far to go, aluminum and torsion is the ticket.
If you beat the daylights out of your trailer and have a long way to travel (we went 14,000 miles r/t to Alaska and back) then steel (galvanized) and springs will be your best bet.

I agree with the previous comments, it depends on your usage.

I have trailed for various boats for over 20 years and have had many trailers.
Each time it was suggested to me to get a galvanized roller here in the NE. Also after about 8-10 years of heavy use it is best to replace the trailer. Saltwater is just a killer.

Good luck

Agree with torsion axles rather than springs.
For one thing, torsion axles give you a lower center of gravity and makes loading and unloading easier, especially in lower water conditions.

I personally prefer bunks over rollers (I've owned both), and I always suggest keel bunks be installed as well.
Keel bunks will assist is centering the boat and also protects the keel from striking the trailer cross braces.

I purchased a new trailer for my 2006 2320 about 9 months ago from Wayne at West Coast Trailers in Huntington Beach. I believe it was the TFTD 2682. I couldn't be happier with the quality and service. My boat's been trailered all over CA since and I have no complaints. They had the best price I could find, delivered quickly and the trailer is solid.

Back