Garmin Display Issue - Track vs. Orientation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieSailor

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 7612 on my forward helm station & a 5208 on the aft station; on both, the orientation is set to "Heading Up." The 7612, along with an Airmar 200WX ultrasonic wind sensor were installed over the winter. Today, I observed on both displays a situation in which the boat is oriented "up," but the actual track is actually ~20 degrees to port or starboard. In other words, the "crumbline" on the screen that normally falls off the center of the transom appears to be coming off one corner or the other; at its worst, the line even looks to come of the side of the icon. It happened at high speed & low speed. When first observed, the crumbline came off the port stern corner, seemed to come back to center, then moved to the starboard corner, before swinging back to the port stern (again). The attached pic shows an accurate track, but the boat icon skewed to the port of "actual."

The software was updated in January 2016, when the 7612 & Airmar were installed at the dealer. I have not installed the more recent update(s) due to the bad press on this forum.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attachments

• Skewed Track v Orientation.jpg
    Skewed Track v Orientation.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 82
Garmin put out a new update 2 days ago to fix issues such as this. I have had a screen freezing issue with my chartplotter (1040xs)
I installed the update yesterday but have not run the boat yet to see if it corrected the issue.

Do you have auto pilot ? If so go thru set up wizard and re orient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! The Garmin software update had no impact. Turns out that the electronic compass in the wind sensor is not in sync with the rest of the system, despite multiple attempts to complete the auto-calibration routine. I'm still working with the dealer to determine how to force an update via software....

Geez, that's discouraging. When I ordered my boat recently I originally wanted a Lowrance HDS12. The Parker dealer recommended the 1040XS. Seems I read about multiple issues with the Garmin, should I have cause for alarm? I suspect I can change the electronics on the order. thank you

Back