Garmin Fantom Radar Software Update question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
The Fantom radar unit that was installed new on my 2017 2820 stopped working this season. It didn't appear to be spinning up, I couldn't hear it spinning up like normal from the cabin when I turned it on, and I had no moving display on the screen. The boat is at the dealer for winterizing and they said they upgraded the radar from version 10.0 to 16.0. Could that have actually fixed the issue? Seems odd..... I would have expected a fuse, electrical or mechanical issue.

thanks
John

IDK, I would need to look it up, it was the latest 24" enclosed Garmin Fantom sold in 2017.

I question why I could always (faintly) hear it spinning up in the time that it worked for 2 years, then then it stopped working in Spring 2019 when I put her in the water. I know it worked in the Fall of 2018 , I used it several times..., but now no 'spin up' sound and no rotational display on any of my screens in "radar' mode.

Dealer states and charged for upgraded SW version. I guess I need to drive down and fire it up to confirm.....

thank you....

John

IDK, would an older version just stop working? I'm relying on the dealer. Sounds odd to me that it works for 2 years, stops, then a Rev update is the fix.. again, IDK.. thanks..

I also have the 24' Fantom. There are LEDs on the rear, bottom of the radar. They will tell you if there is a problem. My first unit failed. It would spin up; however it wouldn't paint anything. I had to send it back and it was replaced with a new one. Garmin never did tell me what happened with the original one; however, I think it was the magnetron that failed. Oddly enough it happened after a software upgrade. I just did the 17.0 upgrade yesterday and the replacement is still working.

Thanks guys, I pinged the dealer and they assured me it was working.....

Back