Garmin gps 492 won't power on

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasport

Reaction score
Ok so this season my garmin gps unit won't power on. I checked fuse got 12 votes before and after on power lead. At the connection to the unit the approx 10 prong connector I could only read 7 and 5 volts on 2 separate prongs. Now I checked my fishfinder and I was able to read 12 volts on one of the prongs to that unit which works fine. I took ground off cleaned and reinstalled, still no power. Any advice on what to try? The unit is powered by buss bar and batteries are charged.

This might not work so a fyi or m2cw

How do I perform a Master Reset on a GPSMAP 292/298, 392/398, or 492/498 device?

Email this Answer
Print this Answer

02/23/2011

Warning - Performing a master reset will erase all saved user data such as waypoints, routes and tracks that have been saved in the device. For instructions on how to backup user data, please refer to the FAQ titled "How do I backup userdata (waypoints, routes, and tracks) from my GPSMAP 292/298, 392/398, or 492/498 device?".

To perform the master reset, please follow these instructions:

With the device powered OFF, press and hold the Quit button
While holding the Quit button, press and hold the Power button
Continue to hold both buttons until the message "Do you really want to erase all user settings?" appears, then release both buttons
Highlight Yes and press the Enter button

The device will now restart. When it fully boots, the device will be set back to factory default settings.

https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... es?caseId={2a5d0a10-ee02-11df-ea12-000000000000}

I think it probably the prongs had a unit do that to me and I checked prongs got voltage and nothing would make the screen light up I believe u have to have all prongs working. At least the one that lights up the screen. I ended up buying a new wiring harness and it lit back up again. I don't believe the reset will do it

Back