Garmin sounder 498

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Cibran

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 498 and I'm having problems acquiring satellites,I have found that I need to do an update to this unit,my question is,does the unit need to be on the boat with Power on or can it be done out of boat in my office with power off,reason being I do not have a labtop which I can take to boat.

Robert

It will have to be powered up. You will need to download the new software 3.40 Version is the latest /last and final software upgrade for that unit.

That download then needs to be loaded onto the old style Garmin blank chip. There is a reader that Garmin has that has a USB plug on it.

Here is a pix of one.

100_3835.jpg

The blank chip plugs into that. [chip in pix above] That chip will then plug into your 498 via the little pop open port. You go into the menu and find "CARD" where it talks about transfer to card or transfer from card. It's pretty far down the menu list.

Actually If I remember right on a Software upgrade it will just recognize the card and auto upgrade. The above is for waypoint downloads or uploads.

100_3839.jpg

100_3837.jpg

This is actually a AC power hookup so that the unit can be played with in the house.

100_3836.jpg

Now. All this stuff is obsolete. Garmin doesn't care about or service this stuff anymore. It is the old school Garmin format in this unit. Garmin made their name on it. Why they changed, a LOT of people would like to know. It was tried and true. Extremely easy to use.

Garmin will send you a card with the software upgrade on it. There is a $$ deposit for this. But if you have a electronics shop near you they should be able to do it for little money or as a curtsey. Once the card is shoved in the unit it takes a matter of 20 to 30sec to upgrade.

The reader, card and the AC unit are only available used now. They want around $50 on Ebay for the reader now.

Hope that helps?

If you were close by.... I'd just do it for you for nothing. :) I actually have that software on the card now.

I have had a 498 on my 162 Scout. Sold that to my brother.

Now I have a 492 [same thing without FF] on my Flounder boat and my buddy has a 492 on his Mako.

warthog5,

yes I'm close by,actually in Miami,how about this,I'm going to try and do something which Garmin has advised I do (Autolocate) whatever that is,just some press of a few buttons,if that does not work I can send unit to you with some Cash to pay freight back.

In return for this favor,I have a place in the Keys so that if you ever come down with your boat,you are welcome to stay as my guest .

My e-mail is [email protected]

Robert

WOW! That's a Hell'va offer. :)

Robert.......Can you power the unit up and right at the beginning it will tell you what version software is in it?

I have in the past actually seen where the channel buoy's all of a sudden would not display the next time the unit was turned ON. it happened to my 2006C.

This was before I had all this stuff so that I could update the unit. A software update and POOF! There they are again. :)

Back