GARMIN TOUCH SCREEN 5000 SERIES ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean

Reaction score
Any one have the new garmin touch screen G.P.S. give me your thoughts.

Thanks " BEAN "

I do not own one myself, but I have had the opportunity to use the one on Jim Maier's (of BOE Marine) 23 Pacific.

Image-AEA30C4E7AB611DC.jpg

The photo above was taken at the 2007 Annapolis Powerboat Show where I got to play with the system quite a bit. Jim has it tricked out with XM radio and weather, as well as every other goodie in the Garmin catalog. The boat and its electronics are used to showcase what he sells.

When the show ended, I was able to run the boat at nightfall across the Bay and discovered that the radar overlay was quite good. Because of the overlay I was able to 'see' two small boats on the eastern side of the Bay running without nav-lights. :shock:

I know of at least one other local boat that has the 5000 series touch-screen Garmin installed. It is on a rescue boat based in Chestertown MD.

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

If I ever decide to upgrade my Garmin 2010, this is the unit that will replace it. :wink:

Thanks Megabyte;

I e-mailed Jim at BOE Marine & he answered the questions I had.

Just want to be real sure this unit is the one I want. Plenty of $ on this

when you start adding all the extras.

"BEAN"

I have the 42 series which is the same software just not touchscreen. It is really good with all its features and garmin just came out with an excellent update. I chose the 42 over the 52 because when im running in rough stuff i want to be able to hit the buttons and half the time i still miss with the buttons i cant imagine what it would be like with touchscreen i would be all over the place. But if you have the extra coin or dont have the space for the 42 go ahead you wont regret it.

FishFactory":qr1qjjlf said:
Wonder how that touchscreen looks after riggin ballyhoo (squeezing the poop out).........yer go to delicately touch the right spot w/yer clean finger and WHAM, a wave throws yer hand over the screen. :?:

A splash from a bottle of water and a towel, and you are back in business. :wink:

Back