Gas gauge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasport

Reaction score
My gas gauge is getting finicky half tank 1 second than reads empty. Doesn't matter if at dock or on plane. Where to start troubleshooting?

i had similar issue last year. first recommendation i got was to check/swap out the sender. that was the problem.

Agree all. Start with the ground and connections at the sender, it's easy free and can't hurt. My bet is the sender though as if it's working fine up to the half tank level then it's probably not the connection.

You can check the resistance of the sending unit with an ohm-meter without pulling the unit out of the tank. If it's 0 ohms, or open (infinite), it's failed.

Check the battery connections? Maybe dirty or corroded and need maintenance and add dielectric grease. Inspect the crimps, too If using wing nuts, replace with washers and hex nuts or nylocks

Well that's true..... But to properly test the sender it needs to be out and check at full and at empty.....

BUT ! That's not the real problem. The problem is in the restate on the sending unit. As the boat goes up and down the connection of the restate gets worn.

This is VERY typical of a swing arm style sender. It's also why we replace them with a float style unit.

I had the same problem last year on my 04 2520xl, and it took me a long time to figure out . what I found was a ground bar that was completely corroded. it was installed in the bilge, I have a floor hatch at the stern where the batteries are kept. the ground bar was hard to find as it is located up high where it was hard to see. Not sure if your 2120 has the same set up.

Attachments

• IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 335
Thanks Hotpursuit. I just cleaned that bar and connections as it was pretty corroded. It didn't clean up that great I think I gotta resplice those connections. Right after I messed with it my gauge wasn't acting correctly so most likely the problem. Thanks.

Where did you relocate? Unfortunately I played w those connections in bilge. I found connection above gas tank where sender is and boy I hope I don't have to mess w that guess I gotta remove deck plate just to get in and get too connections.

A Buss bar that looks like the one above should be replaced with a New tinned Copper one, like the ones from Blue Sea's.

In the pix above.....See the shiny copper ? that will not last long....it will be green and green is corroded Copper. always a good ides to smear some diaelectric grease on them after connections are made.

Wart, as I'm doing some wiring now myself I've been reading up on the use of that grease and my takeaway from your comment is on the after the connection is made? As in you don't want the grease between the connector and the bar or terminal etc.. But on top? Also, I sent you a PM for some assistance if you can help?

I typically spray a bit of CorrosionX on my electrical terminals.
I use a trigger spray bottle to keep from getting it all over the place.

To me the spray's are sloppy....Granted they work.....But...they look a little unsightly.

The dislectric grease :..........

I will put a thin film on my connectors and the tangs of fuses. A little on and then pull you finger/thumb across the connector, so as no blob, but just a thin film.

Then you can you your finger with some more over the buss bar after connections are made as a sealer from the elements.

I coat the tie bars on my BEP Cluster switch installs also.

20160302_123536_zpsn6bapitf.jpg

Dielectric grease is a most commonly overlooked things on the boats. I saved my friend electronics from being junked by cleaning plugs and putting grease over it. It has been fine for fwe years since. It is must in salt water.

Back