Gel Coat discoloration from gasoline.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STACK

Reaction score
The gas vent leaked gasoline down the side of my 2520 while it was in storage (tank was too full when bow was elevated ). Didn't notice for several weeks. Seems to have discolored the finish. Had STA-Bil mixed with gas. Can't seem to clean or polish discoloration out. Any suggestions? :(

I had the same problem and, like you, I was unable to get rid of the stain.I even tried wet sanding.

You can try On/Off hull cleaner. It is very caustic so try and keep it off metal or wet the metal with the hose first.

FWIW everything I've read on ethanol-based fuels says it can permanently stain fiberglass. As is, it can DISSOLVE frp fuel tanks ... so I'm not surprised it can cause a permanent stain :( .

with ethanol, its from the vent cap on the side of the hull. did i wipe it down or hose it down after it overflowed no, but maybe thats where i went wrong

Holy cow...a stain!

As I'm not one to worry about a stain or two, I've found that old man sun can work UV magic on some of those places. Maybe he'll come thru for you.

mrfunandson":1aa96wpv said:
with ethanol, its from the vent cap on the side of the hull. did i wipe it down or hose it down after it overflowed no, but maybe thats where i went wrong
Remember that fuel will EXPAND as the temperatures go up! That's why airplanes and jets calculate fuel burn and fuel remaining in pounds (weight) as the gallons (volume) varies dependent on ambient temperature. Nevermind the temp cycle an airplane would go through from leaving the ground @ 80-degrees F and going 4-5 miles up to where it would be below 0.

I'd say never fill over 90% full if you are going to facing WARMER temperatures. From what I read on the net ... ethanol fuel 'stains' on frp are permanent - as stated it materially affects the structure of the glass itself, thus it is more than just a stain ... it is a degredation of the gelcoat itself.

I always make sure to put a few extra coats of wax around the vent when I wax the hull.

Not sure if it does anything but makes me feel better. 8)

I HATE ETHANOL!!!

Bryan 2530":32it4l2k said:
I always make sure to put a few extra coats of wax around the vent when I wax the hull.
I bet it adds prophylatic protection! (That Is the correct term, by the way ;) ...)

jeffnick":160xvetp said:
I've found that old man sun can work UV magic on some of those places. Maybe he'll come thru for you.

That was my thought.

Spray some 50/50 bleach and water on it and let the sun do the rest. :wink:

Back