Gel coat repair?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roccus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have two small gouges in the stern, about the size of a dime each maybe. I’m wondering if doing gel coat over them will suffice? Or would I need to add some fiberglass as well? Also, is there any chance of water intrusion in these? I’m hoping to just fix at the end of the season but will probably do soon just to seal it all up. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 72C7DBDA-4831-4BF1-A536-D21BB278ED4C.jpeg
    72C7DBDA-4831-4BF1-A536-D21BB278ED4C.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 134
  • AA064868-B6FE-43E7-A570-9C6450E4AC3E.jpeg
    AA064868-B6FE-43E7-A570-9C6450E4AC3E.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 133
Sooner is better than later. The fiberglass is exposed and can take in water. Gelcoat should be all you need and I would do in in a few layers. It will take a few hours if you do it yourself.

You used to be able to buy Parker gelcoat from Cecil Marine, but I just checked and they do not have it at the moment (or I missed it). I've color matched, and it's OK...you can get really close, but the Parker stuff just blends right in. Either way, the fix is easy, and like others said, do not delay. Get a rotary tool or manually sand with paper and make the hard edges slowly slope out to undamaged gelcoat. If the area is the size of a dime I'd probably end up with an area at least the size of a half dollar. Clean the area well with acetone, then apply gel coat. Apply liberally and use a plastic scraper to smooth out any of the flat sides (but dont press down too hard, youll want to leave a little extra so that you dont have to do it twice). You'll have to manually do the curve unless someone else speaks up with a tip. Don't worry if you get too much, you can fix anything with more sand paper. Finish with a fine sander paper and then wax it. It's worth calling Cecil Marine or Parker and asking where you can get the exact gelcoat..it makes the final product almost perfect and takes out a lot of the work.

Latest posts

Back