gelcoat question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In2Deep

Reaction score
Well I have a small repair to do in the splashwell of my 1801,the gelcoat had a 3" crack(on both sides(port and starboard) of the side walls of the splashwell)and after removing the loose material I was basically down to the wood,the port crack was deep enough to allow the surface of the wood to get wet and have some soft wood,the transom is structurally sound and I believe these cracks were from basic flexing,trailering etc., that said, the plan is fiberglass mat with epoxy over the exposed wood then gelcoat over that.

My question is,after researching on here I understand the gelcoat is supposed to be covered with a plastic film in order to cure? when I contacted Parker they said I could roll on the new gelcoat/non-skid floor covering,they didnt mention anything about any plastic film?

thanks,
Jerry :?: :?:

Bought Parker gel coat from dealer and found it cures just as well (if not better) without covering. I tried the red liquid spray on stuff for curing but couldn't get the preval sprayer to work well.

Gel coat CAN have a wax component in it that elmininates the need for cover. Not sure if the Parker stuff does or not.

Factory Parker Gelcoat does not have wax added. I used some recently and it also dried hard without any tackyness without spraying with PVA or covering. Go Figure!!

I spray the factory stuff with PVA to be safe, works for me.

However, you are going to have a problem with gelcoat over epoxy, not the best combo.

I guess resin would be a better base for the gelcoat vs epoxy? This will be my first trying to do a repair this large and first time using fiberglass mat. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,Jerry

just get some surfacing agent at West Marine or where you get your gel coat...you add a few drops when you are mixing the gel coat...it creates a wax surface allowing a full cure.

I think the issue MAY be that the gelcoat you are using is PROBABLY polyester based and that does not adhere too well to epoxy. (However, epoxy does adhere very well to polyester.) So you MAY have an adhesion issue.

Thing is with boats, right about the time you think you got them figured out, something changes, and what used to be true, no longer is.

Let us know how this works for you.

Back