Gelcoat to Hardener Ratio ????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysbigfish

Reaction score
I just got some gelcoat from Parker, thay only send the gelcoat no hardener. No instructions on the can, nothing. I called Parker for the ratio,and thay told me to contact my local deler. Can someone please tell me how much hardener I need for 2 oz of gelcoat or the ratio.

How much was the gelcoat from Parker? How long did it take to ship? How much do they give you?

I have a can of West Marine brand gelcoat and the directions say the hardener provided is enough to set off the whole can. It also says to proportion accordingly, half can = half tube and so on.
It has .25 oz.of hardener to a 16oz. can of gelcoat. I'm sure if you use that ratio you will be alright. When I used it I was counting in drops because I was using very small amounts. I found a water boattle capfull was good for about 4-5 drops depending on temp. Also does the Parker stuff have sufacing wax in it already? Hope that helps.

The ratio is on the hardener container. But I believe it to be 12 drops of hardener per ounce of gelcoat. More if temps <60> 80 or 90. I believe the 12:1 was written for 72 degree F days.

I use a tablespoon of hardener to a pint of Gelcoat. I rather mix it hot than not have it kick. Just my 2 cents.

The hardener you want will be a clear liquid, and not the pasty stuff like you use with filler or bondo. It should say Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide (MEKP) on the package somewhere.

Porkchunker":1pyh7k62 said:
I have a bit of Parker gelcoat and used it last summer (see my gelcoat A-Z thread). I used 12 drops of hardener (bought at West Marine) to 1 oz of gelcoat. Worked perfectly.

Dave

Dave,

Do you remember if the Parker gelcoat contained a hardening wax or whatever its called?

-- Tom

TomS":kigoiqqk said:
Do you remember if the Parker gelcoat contained a hardening wax or whatever its called?
The gelcoat I bought a few years ago did not have the surfacing wax in it. So it must be covered with plastic wrap or spray mold release to cure.

Tip - when done with the can, shoot a blast of propane over the top of the can, to displace the O2, before you close the lid. Makes the gelcoat last longer ... I do this with my good varnishes too.

I have been using Parker gel coat a lot lately. It depends on the temp your working in. For instance I did some yesterday and I used 12 drops of hardener for each ounce of gel coat and it was about 75 degrees. The hotter it is the less it takes to set it off. I was also using a spray gun. The only real difference is that I tend to use it faster with the spray gun. When you keep it in a cup for any length of time it starts getting hot and shortens the working time. This happens because the longer it’s left in the mixing cup there is more mass and the mass generates heat and sets it off.

Just remember that you have to seal the last coat or surface will remain tacky. You can add wax or you can use a sealer designed for that purpose. I add a wax just like the hardener. I got it from my local plastic and fiberglass shop. I use 10 drops per ounce of the wax. Good luck

Bryan, Call the office at 252-728-5621 and I'd bet anyone there could help you.

To overcoat gelocat that doesn't have wax added....

376800132.jpg

plus

376970018.jpg

Both available at Boater's World for a total of $18.

Bryan, Call the office at 252-728-5621 and I'd bet anyone there could help you.

Thanks Megabyte.

I called Parker and they told me to go to my local dealer. I called the local dealer and they gave me a price of $35+tax for a quart of gelcoat!!!Is this price the norm for what you other guys are paying? Just want to make sure before I bend over at the dealer. Thanks guys. :shock:

I went back to my dealer last week.They gave me a half full baby food jar of gelcoat as a courtesy.
I wonder how much hardener I'd have to use if I was just fixing a couple of bings and bangs.I guess I'll use 12 drops to an ounce as a guide. Quarter once/3-4 drops of hardner.

I work with Parker gel coat all the time fixing a scratch here or a ding there or holes I no longer need.

The dealer should give you a little bit gel coat if he wants your business in the future. The dealer where live is an idiot (most predict he will probably lose the franchise hopefully sooner than later) He charged me $25 for a small baby food jar full. A rip I know, but I needed it.

As far has the ratio goes, the above posts are correct for an average day temp wise. If it does not kick, or does not kick fast enough for you, just put a drop light near the repair and in about 45 minutes it will kick. Actually, it is heat that makes it kick, not the hardner. I don't worry about wax or no wax because I sand (600 grit wet or dry) the repair smooth (with small sanding block) and buff with a high speed buffer (wool bonnet) with 3m Finesse It II. Do that and you will have an undetectable repair.

Evercoat sells tubes of Setting Agent (Hardener). Read the mixing instructions on the package.

Laminating Resin has no wax, remains tacky, and is used for mold work and layup. Wax can be added to the final coat for a complete cure. Follow the manufactures instructions.

Gelcote usually has the wax mixed in for a complete cure. Check with the manufacture.

Mix only the amount of resin and hardener that you are prepared to use immediately . It cures through a chemical reaction and doesn't need oxygen to harden. Once mixed with hardener you can't store it in a sealed container.

Here is a link to my "Gelcoat A-Z" thread. A picture of mixing the is about the third one down. In my case, I used stacking plastic, pill bottles. They hold a bout 1.25 liquid oz., which allows me to add 1 oz of material, 12 drops of hardener for small jobs. At the end of the operation, I toss the pill bottle and use the next one down in the stack the next time.

http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ht=gelcoat

Back