Getting fuel into the tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipperhub

Reaction score
I have a2002 2520 with the center mounted 128 gal fuel tank. All of a sudden I can't fill the tank at full pressure. If I lock the gas hose nozzle back in even the halfway mark, the fuel immediately starts spitting back out the fill tube and out the air vent outside the hull.
I can feed fuel into the tank if I do it slowly by hand but it takes forever. Crimped fuel hose?

Make sure the screen in the tank vent isn't all gunked up.

-- Tom

I had the same issue with my 21SE, as the others said make sure the vent is clear. I tried to clean it out, it helped but I still had the problem. I know how annoying it is sitting there for ever to put gass in the boat....

. . . ..I just bought my boat this year. I filled it on land before I dunked her. . . .. .no problems at all. The pumps were on full the entire time. . .... then the next few times I filled it (in the water) I had issues. Took forever to put fuel in 'cause it would spit out. I had to have the pump barely on . . . ..and it would still be 'iffy'.. . .took forever!! I checked the vent. . . .clean and plenty of air coming out. No kinks in the lines. . . . .so I was at a loss!?!

. . . .. then the owner of the marina was tending the pumps one time and gave me a trick to try. He said there was a few customers that had this issue and it has to do with the way the boat sits in the water. . ..with the added weight (me and passengers) on the 'fill side' it sends the gas close to the vent line causing this issue. He told me to have my passenger go to the other side and see if it helps. . . . .it did. Must have leveled gas in the tank out. . ..and I was able to fill faster and no spitting. Filled the boat the rest of the summer with no issues.

.. . . ..if I was solo I just asked the attendant to jump on real quick. . . ..which was a plus because she's cute as hell ;}

. . ...not sure if this will be of help to anyone else, but it worked for me. Give it a try and good luck.

This is why I have all tanks built now with venting both ends of the tank. Here's the latest one.

100_4007.jpg

100_4006.jpg

100_4008.jpg

100_4009.jpg

100_4010.jpg

I think the problem is solved. I removed the hardware from the end of the vent hose and pulled on the hose. It actually moved about four inches up out of the tank.
I left the vent hose loose, put a bucket under it to catch any gas spitting out, and filled the tank with no problem. I think the vent hose was crimped down inside from someone twisting the screen end to make it fit the angle of the thru hull fitting.
P.S. fueling up a boat with crew on board is not a good idea. You have to keep track of who is going to use their cell phone or light a cigarette or turn on the radio or what ever.

Back