Goodbye Grady ... Hello Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croixboy

Reaction score
For the past few years my boat has been a 2003 Grady Seafarer (which is a Great boat). I sold the Grady :( and after being boatless for a while, I decided to downsize and get back into a center console. After months of research I decided on a 2007 Parker 1801. It's in great shape with only 30 hours on the 115 4 stroke. :D :D
Here she is ...

2007November001.jpg

I've just started to upgrade, and move around some of the electronics. It came with a Lowrance M68c FF/GPS, but it has a really small screen. It also had a quest VHF radio, mounted on the console taking up a lot of space. Here is a pic of the console ...

2007November002.jpg

To create more space, I mounted the quest inside the console, and mounted a remote mic. In the space where the quest VHF was, I mounted a Raymarine Digital DS500x color fishfinder. Now I use the Lowrance M68c for my GPS, and have a seperate unit for the FF.

Here is the new layout ...

Parker002.jpg

My next project is to upgrade the stainless whip antenna to a 4' digital, and add a few Taco rod holders to the back of the chair.

10-27-07005.jpg

So far I've had it out twice. the first was a shake down 20 mile cruise ... it barely sipped the gas. The second trip was to the Delaware Bay in search of stripers. I heard Parkers were fish magnets, and I wasn't disapointed ... the first trip out I caught 20 stripers. Most were 22"~24" up to 6 lbs. Fish slime and sea lice all over the new boat :D :D I had a great time. Here is a pic of my first fish on the new to me Parker.

2007November005.jpg

I look forward to visiting the site often and sharing stories about our boats.

~ Mike

Nice boat :D !

Just to add ... with any VHF antenna - height = performance. Plus, after having tested 25+ combinations using a VHF test meter, I will tell you that the Shakespeare Galaxy series outperformed every version of Digital Antennas tested. And the Shakespeare is cheaper. My opine, don't be fooled by the name in the 'digital' series ... I am not saying they're not good, but I believe the Galaxy is a far better performer and value for the $$.

DaleH":12zzutt8 said:
Nice boat :D !

Just to add ... with any VHF antenna - height = performance. Plus, after having tested 25+ combinations using a VHF test meter, I will tell you that the Shakespeare Galaxy series outperformed every version of Digital Antennas tested. And the Shakespeare is cheaper. My opine, don't be fooled by the name in the 'digital' series ... I am not saying they're not good, but I believe the Galaxy is a far better performer and value for the $$.

Dale - Thanks for the recommendation ... I'll check out the Galaxy series.

I like your leaning post. Did you install or did it come with the boat? Do you know where I can buy one like yours? I would like to install one on my 21SE.

Bigboy,

The leaning post came with the boat ... the previous owner had it custom made. I'm not sure where it was made, but if I find out I'll let you know.

Mike

The 18 Parker is about the best 18'er out there. Tons of interior room to fish. There is an 18 Parker slipped behind me and it is obvious that the 3 piece hull without all the molded boxes has it more spacious than many larger boats. Besides I dont think there is a better looking 18' hull either!

Good luck with it!

When it came time to say goodbye to my "classic" Grady Chesapeake, I chose Parker, too. When I first saw the Sport Cabin at a boat show, my mind was made up. I've never regretted the decision.

Hard to beat Parker 18. Is that leaning post stainless steel? Looks like it to me. Looks a lot like my favorite pipe bender's work.

goggle nccustommarinefabrication, the're in NewBern

Congrats! I have the same platform. Truly unbeatable for inshore and moderate off-shore fishing. I didn't opt for the t-top due to fly-fishing constraints. I did mount 4 Taco rod holders behind the seat and they work perfectly. The tubing is 1-1/4" so your dealer may have to order them. I have the igloo 56 quart cooler and it fits fine under the holders.

By the way, Bigboy was inquiring about the leaning post. It's a Parker leaning post (w/ slight modifications). Contact Robin Parker she'll lead you the way to obtain one.

Back