GPS antenna connector, cut??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan 2530

Reaction score
I need to run a GPS cable down through my Radar tower.

Can I cut the end off and re-solder or crimp another BNC connector on without loss of signal for my Garmin 540s??

Anyone done this with good results?

Should be good, no? The connection will be in the pilot house anyway.

I've got furuno and imagine garmin is the same - the antenna and cable are one item - meaning you have to run the plug end down your radar tower from outside and to the display unit. It is not a VHF. When I was doing my radar install and moving the GPS I had to pull all of the cable out and then run it throught the tower and back to the console.

My new 6000i Northstar came delivered with the antenna end packaged seperatly, the reasoning was that running the cable would be easier.
Piece of cake to connect. I also would check with Garmin.

Good Luck
Tom

Bryan 2530":2stfjk7r said:
I need to run a GPS cable down through my Radar tower.

Can I cut the end off and re-solder or crimp another BNC connector on without loss of signal for my Garmin 540s??

Anyone done this with good results?

Should be good, no? The connection will be in the pilot house anyway.

Verify your cable size but the norm for the older GPS antennas is RG58.

Just cut it and install a new connector.

If it were me I would opt for the solder style center pin.

Having the proper size crimp tool may be an issue but if you can find a solder connector be careful not to heat it up too much. I usually clamp a vice grip on the connector to help absorb the heat. Also do not shorten/lengthen the cable any more than needed.

No, it has to go thought a wire sized hole in tubing.

Hopefully I will get to it this week. Having kids sucks for my boat in the spring. :evil:

As others have said, yes, you can cut it and solder/crimp on a new connector, but you don't have to worry about cutting too much off, its not a radar cable that has its length (2-way travel time) programmed into the GPS. You can cut it in half and it'll work fine. Heck, I've got a GPS cable for our Trimble that's spliced from 3 pieces of old RG-58, and is over 100' long. Works just fine.

I have the solder one but I also had a push on type in my electrical box with a set screw.

I put that on on for now, it it stops working, I'll do the solder one.

Worked great, all bars on the GPS full and locked in.

Bryan 2530":2owoly55 said:
I have the solder one but I also had a push on type in my electrical box with a set screw.

I put that on on for now, it it stops working, I'll do the solder one.

Worked great, all bars on the GPS full and locked in.
If you put glue-lined heatshrink over the base of that connector, you'll be golden. I've found that the solder ones tend to get brittle if you overheat them (which is extremely easy to do).

Back