GPS antenna install?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floatsum

Reaction score
Remote antenna for Garmin's 540 GPS says to install at least 3 ft. from any radar / VHF antenna.
Well my CC isn't that big, not much room for things of that nature.
What happens if I install it close to the VHF? Will it blow up?
Or just act strange when I key the mike or something?
Glad I don't need to worry about radar.
Thanks,
Gary

Clear view to the sky to pick up satelite is one of the most important installs for the mushrooms(GPS ant.). Additionally look for anything that might cause a "shadow" or hang over the GPS ant. before install. Mine work fine less than 3'.

All I can say is I am totally "WOWed!"
The difference between the built-in on location, and the Remote just a little higher is unbelievable!

I mounted my GPS antenna on an 18" Shakespear fiberglass VHF extension above the radar. The extension is only about 6" away from the back of the radar dome, but it puts the GPS antenna well above the radiation pattern. The extension does not seem to interfere with the radar and I get a good return on objects at the 6 O'clock position. Works great. I believe the Annapolis rendezvous photos show that GPS antenna sticking up above the radar dome.

Photo #621 in Kevin's album shows the antenna extension very well: http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell#100040

Dave

aka

Back