GPS INSTALL Pics. & Problem.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
Ok well it finally warmed up a bit up here in the north so I thought I would get started installing my gps chart plotter. It all went pretty smooth. I used the temp-plate and cut my holes. I drilled out the holes for the mounting studs hooked up the wires and slipped her in. She looked so good flush mounted. I'm happy all I have to do is put the nuts on the back and tighten her down. ( I plan on hooking up the power in a couple of weeks when I get the new batts.) Any way’s, I go inside to get the right socket and when I get back I climb in the cabin and what do I see? Well more like don't see. The studs are not long enough to go threw the dash On my Parker... Are these boats built that much better then most boats that you have to get longer screws to mount something? Should I call Jim at BOE where I bought the unit or where I can I get some longer studs? any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. Here is a pic of the install.
gpsinstall2.jpg

Mike, maybe standard horizon has a solution for this? I'm not sure but I'm sure you already gave their site a try. If that doesn't work I'm not sure how the studs are attached to the display frame. If they are easily removeable maybe a trip to home depot could get you straight.

If standard horizon has no solution and the studs are permanently fixed to the display frame than maybe you can find some sleeve nuts. Check out the link below. You might be able to find them at the hardware store. They might allow you to get the bite you need on the studs??? I'm not sure how close you are. I would just make sure you can get a clean and tight fit.

http://www.inox.ie/acatalog/Sleeve-Nuts.html

Mike2043":2mczu3as said:
I go inside to get the right socket and when I get back I climb in the cabin and what do I see? Well more like don't see. The studs are not long enough to go threw the dash On my Parker... Are these boats built that much better then most boats that you have to get longer screws to mount something?

In a word... Yes.

I had the same situation when I mounted the Garmin 2010 GPS/Chartplotter in my boat.

GW204 did the majority of the work on my install, and fortunately he came equipped with a Dremel tool...

The fix was to use the Dremel to cut a relief in the back side of the panel so that the nut and washer could be threaded onto the stud.
What you are seeing is the quality built into boats built by Parker Marine. That is... the fiberglass is thick!

I don't have any photos of the relief cut, but if you need a visual reference, let me know and I'll go to the storage yard and attempt to get a few shots.

Megabyte":3n4bcmde said:
Mike2043":3n4bcmde said:
I go inside to get the right socket and when I get back I climb in the cabin and what do I see? Well more like don't see. The studs are not long enough to go threw the dash On my Parker... Are these boats built that much better then most boats that you have to get longer screws to mount something?

In a word... Yes.

I had the same situation when I mounted the Garmin 2010 GPS/Chartplotter in my boat.

GW204 did the majority of the work on my install, and fortunately he came equipped with a Dremel tool...

The fix was to use the Dremel to cut a relief in the back side of the panel so that the nut and washer could be threaded onto the stud.
What you are seeing is the quality built into boats built by Parker Marine. That is... the fiberglass is thick!

I don't have any photos of the relief cut, but if you need a visual reference, let me know and I'll go to the storage yard and attempt to get a few shots.

I was thinking about oversizing the hole. I am going to try Home depot and see if I can find the right size screw and put in threw the back side.

I am also thinking about countersinking the hole on the front side. This will alow the head thats on the stud ( yes removable) to sink and lower the unit a little more. The studs are 1/16" long and the dash is 1"

When I mounted my 3210 I had the same problem.

I went to the hardware store and got threaded studs of the same diameter and used them instead of the mounding hardware that came with the garmin.

Yes the typical console is about 1/4 to 1/2" thick, the parker console is over an inch thick.

Mike how are you making out with this? Were you able to come up with a solution? I hope so because the mount looks great right above the wheel.
-Matt

Yep, had the same thing happen to me when I installed my windless.
Mounting studs about 1/2'' too short :x
Could'nt find any stainless allthread,had to go w/galv. :evil: .
Electro coated the heck out of it,and went for it.
I'll be stoked to get 5 years out of it before the electrolysis kills it.

Still Love my little boat tho!
MJ.

mstelmac":2ezhyx34 said:
Mike how are you making out with this? Were you able to come up with a solution? I hope so because the mount looks great right above the wheel.
-Matt

I am going to get some SS screws and come in from the back instead of the studs. I went to PA on my day's off for the sports show so it has to wait untill i'm off next week.

Back