Helm problem on 2100CC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
I've got an issue with the mechanical helm steering on my new 2100CC with Yamaha F150.

The wheel turns to starboard properly, but is very, very stiff when turning to port. This is true whether the boat is on its trailer or in the water, so it isn't prop torque. It literally takes both arms to turn the wheel to starboard.

My dealer has already replaced the helm with a new one, and an inspection of the cable from the helm to the engine indicated the cable was ok.

I'm sure the problem will be resolved to my satisfaction with the dealer and Parker, but I am wondering what the hell the problem is. I checked a couple of other Parkers at the dealership with the same helm, and they "steered" just fine...not as easy as hydraulic, but just fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing a faulty cable, but I am not familiar with the innards of steering. I have had many boats with mechanical steering...and this is a serious problem.

Thanks!

I always have the tough questions!

Wish I could help, but my last mechanically steered boat was my 2000 Dusky (no issues).
My 2520 has SeaStar hydraulic...

Had that problem a number of years ago w/ 18' Lund.

It was caused due to a slightly bent steering rod which caused a flat/rust spot on the rod about 2" inside the tube making it very sticky steering to port.

Good helm. good cable, would have to be at the motor.

Back