HELP..... gas in bilge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Splashed yesterday for the first time, ran fine but found a small but pungent amount of gas in the bilge. I cranked the jack way up in the driveway, pulled the plug and opened up all of the hatches for the night. The leak has appeared to stop.

Here is my thinking and what I need cross checking on...

As the leak was small and appears to have been limited to when the gas was being called for by the motor, the fuel line is suspect. I am about to head out to check but what else should I be looking for? If the problem is the fuel tank (please no) how would I figure this out? Access to the tank is limited to the one 6" hatch in the deck.

I have a friend in town that I desperately need to take out tomorrow, after having scratched for two years in a row.

Many thanks as always,
Sam

SamR":yk5g41gh said:
...As the leak was small and appears to have been limited to when the gas was being called for by the motor, the fuel line is suspect...

Those lines are not pressurized, but would have a vacuum in them. They are easy to replace, as the connector on the tank is at the rear of the tank, reachable through the bilge. You should be able to run your hands up the hose to the connector and see if there is raw fuel on the connector or hose.

For a boat that is 10 years old, I'd suspect that the fill and/or vent hoses have a crack. Not sure when fuel lines were converted to those which can handle ethanol. May have lines that are not ethanol resistant, and over the last year have broken down, allowing a leak. Probably a good time to check them also. The vent and fill lines can be reached through the round deck plate above the fuel tank. Pop the cover on that plate and see if there is raw fuel on the top of the tank around the vent and fill connectors.

Could also have a leaking gasket around the fuel gauge...also reachable through the deck plate.

Let us know what you find.

Dave

aka

Called the service shop and they thought that given the minimal leakage, it might have been caused by spillage when I replaced the Racor filter. They suggested washing out the bilge and splashing her again to check. The fuel line is doubtful as you and they said due to the vacuum. Fill lines maybe though. The bilge just had a wash with soap and I'l give it a rinse before splashing.

Updates :?

Well I splashed the Parker again and the engine stalled. Started it up again and it died in a few seconds. After that, she wouldn't start. No gas in the bilge but the fuel bulb would not get firm. Fast forward to last weekend. Unhooked the fuel line from the Racor and put it in a gas can. Bulb pumped up fine. Working my way back, I checked the Racor. Apparently, when I winterized I somehow neglected to install any of the gaskets :shock:

This could explain the gas in the bilge and gas pressure issue. Swapped out the Racor for a new one, this time with all three gaskets. Bulb pumped up fine and Racor filled. Now she will not start. Sounds like she is trying to but there is no combustion.

I am obviously a moron and non mechanic, but I have the service manual and would like to figure this out if I can. How to I rule out bad batteries? I have a meter and am showing 12V plus on each, but that is only part of the story.

Wish I had a family member who knew a thing or two about motors...

HELP

SamR":29ozoxw5 said:
Now she will not start. Sounds like she is trying to but there is no combustion.
Is your KILL lanyard disconnected? If so, she will crank, but never turn over. Check this, even by cycling the switch.

SamR":29ozoxw5 said:
How to I rule out bad batteries? I have a meter and am showing 12V plus on each, but that is only part of the story.
Have someone put a DMM across battery #1 while cranking, if your voltage is dropping lower then 10-volts, the ECU/Powerpack won't light up and fire the motor. On some boats, even < 11-volts will not allow her to fire.

I have spark testers et al ... or bring boat by my driveway in Topsfield this weekend ...

Back