Help me make a decision - From Albemarle 24 to Parker ??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadrise

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell my 99 Albemarle 24 in order to get away from I/Os.
I love the ride of the Albemarle (24*), but I'm sick of paying for the engine and drive repairs. I want something simpler, with less maintenance.

I'm looking for my next boat that I can get for the selling price of my boat, which I'm hoping will be in the mid 30's. I've had a 18' Sou'wester and liked it, so I'm leaning towards Parker. I fish mainly inshore saltwater in the warm months, but also troll for Rockfish in the cold months on the Ches. Bay. I never go offshore, but love the Deep V ride on those snotty Bay days. I could go center console with enclosure, but I don't want to regret it. I could go Pilothouse, but I'm not sure about the enclosed cabin thing. Decisions, Decisions.

Narrowed the choices down to:

21CC - Deep V, limited protection, no fishboxes, limited availability on used market
23SE - Big and stable, rougher ride, limited protection
23CC - Deep V, fishboxes, limited protection
2120 SC - Deep V, no livewell, step down into cabin
2320SC - Deep V, price might be out of range
2310 - Deep V, pricy, no livewell, limited availability on used market

Seems like their are quite a few 23SE and 2120 in the used market.
I like different aspects of both of these boats. But they have their drawbacks, too.

My price range is fixed; no more than around 34k.
What boat would you choose in this situation? Any feedback is appreciated.

Chris

Well i have a 2120 parker for 1st season and i know from what i have read i will enjoy my boat very much,if your looking for a boat with fishwell i would def. go for a 2320 reason being is if you put a baitwell/live well on a 2120 it take up some room that might be needed at least on the 2320 its on the back of boat already on most!!!and even if you get a 2120 you can but it on the back like some others have done on the step but then you loose that if you have kids and they want to go in water pain is ass to get back on with that there!!! I dont know someone will probaly differ from me but thats just my thoughts on it!!!No matter what boat you get you will be happy having a parker!!!

deadrise":29ddpvva said:
I'm trying to sell my 99 Albemarle 24 in order to get away from I/Os.
I love the ride of the Albemarle (24*), but I'm sick of paying for the engine and drive repairs. I want something simpler, with less maintenance.

I'm looking for my next boat that I can get for the selling price of my boat, which I'm hoping will be in the mid 30's. I've had a 18' Sou'wester and liked it, so I'm leaning towards Parker. I fish mainly inshore saltwater in the warm months, but also troll for Rockfish in the cold months on the Ches. Bay. I never go offshore, but love the Deep V ride on those snotty Bay days. I could go center console with enclosure, but I don't want to regret it. I could go Pilothouse, but I'm not sure about the enclosed cabin thing. Decisions, Decisions.

Narrowed the choices down to:

21CC - Deep V, limited protection, no fishboxes, limited availability on used market
23SE - Big and stable, rougher ride, limited protection
23CC - Deep V, fishboxes, limited protection
2120 SC - Deep V, no livewell, step down into cabin
2320SC - Deep V, price might be out of range
2310 - Deep V, pricy, no livewell, limited availability on used market

Seems like their are quite a few 23SE and 2120 in the used market.
I like different aspects of both of these boats. But they have their drawbacks, too.

My price range is fixed; no more than around 34k.
What boat would you choose in this situation? Any feedback is appreciated.

Chris

I have a 2100CC and find the lack of a fishbox an advantage, because it is one less thing to clean out at the end of the day. I use an Igloo cooler I keep in front of the center console and if it gets dirty inside, I bring it home and wash it out.

Where are you in the Bay? I'm near Deale and Breezy Point and would be delighted to take you out fishing. You have to find the fish, though. :)

I haven't launched yet, though. Too cold for me.

Keith-

You make some good points. I just wish I could find a 2320 in my price range. Most I've seen are in the 40's or need to be repowered. Seems like there are quite a few nicely rigged 2120 with low hours at or even below my price range. I think I could live with a freestanding livewell in the middle of the deck, especially if it had some rod holders in it for trolling and more storage. I'd definitely keep the swim platform free, since we go to the local beach quite a bit. Got to keep the Admiral happy.

hakr-

I hear you on the fishbox issue. One less thing to clean at the end of the day is a good thing. Maybe it's just the lack of storage in general that makes me hesitate on the center console? I think I might really miss my "big" cuddy on the Alby.
Do you think you boat rides better than the pilothouse version since you're back further?

Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming!

Well i hear you on the well its all good i was just saying that it takes up room but if ur good with it thats great,i am sure you could find on even had 1 made for you if you get a 2120 and save money on it instead of getting 2320 with one!!! I am pretty good at finding boats as you can see in the forsale forum i find alot of stuff out there i am uncertain where your from or what your price range is but i will keep my eyes and ears open for you!!!anything i can do to help write me back pm me email me im me i have aol so!!!Glad to help

You don't show the 2520 in your list. Are you trailering and limited by tow capacity?

If not, there are more 2520's on the used market than any other type because they have been in production continuously since the beginning of the company. More boats = more choices.

Most of the 2520's are modified vees, but you will fine deep vees out there too. If you'd rather stick with a DV like your Albe, I can understand...
Just wondering why the 25 wasn't on the list.

If you owned a Sou`wester, you're already ahead of the game!

Welcome aboard!

I only left the 2520 out b/c the low hour ones were out of my price range.
I'd definitely consider one, if the price was right. I keep my boat in a lift and rarely trailer, so that's not really an issue. I was mainly basing it on price. The 2520 would have to be a DV. The 2320 seemed more likely since the price would be lower for a comparable model.

I'm really looking for four stroke, and the Yammy 150 on the 2120 looks like a good option for my needs. I never need to run an inlet or anything too nasty. Mainly just bottom fishing and trolling.

I know I'm going to need to sea-trial, but can anyone compare the 21DV ride to that of a 24* boat? My boat weighs about 5500 lbs. has the 24* hull, and can carve a head sea like nobody's business. I don't necessarily need the exact performance in the next boat, but I'd rather not get a pounder.

Thanks guys...

Chris

deadrise":24upolce said:
I only left the 2520 out b/c the low hour ones were out of my price range.

Gotcha. That makes sense.
What you might want to do is to catch a ride with a member. There are a lot of 21 and 23 DV hulls represented here in both the CC as well as the SC configuration.

Go to your profile and enter your location so folks will know where you are and the offers should come. Place a post here asking for a ride and I'm sure anyone who isn't still winterized would be happy to assist.

Good luck!

Great idea....I'm in the middle of the Chesapeake, about 45 min. from Williamsburg. I'd love to get out on any of these boats, without the pressure of a salesman.

If anyone is willing, I'd love to take a ride. My local doctor has a 2320 (think it's DV). I'll see if I can hitch a ride with him. Would love to get on the 2120.

Thanks

Chris

deadrise said:
Keith-

Maybe it's just the lack of storage in general that makes me hesitate on the center console?

The storage inside the console is very good (especially on the 23's with the larger console). Take a look up close at one. They really hold alot. I have a large igloo mounted up in the bow for my fishbox. Works well, easy to clean, and I cannot clean fish at my marina, so I end up having to take the cooler home with me anyway, and wouldn't use a fishbox because of that.

Good point about the storage. I don't need a whole lot, mainly duffel bags, tackle boxes, safety gear, etc.

I know I'd like the center console in the summer, but when the wind blows and the temp drops, my opinions might change.

Do you have a way to address the weather? Enclosure?

deadrise":h22wba0y said:
Keith-

You make some good points. I just wish I could find a 2320 in my price range. Most I've seen are in the 40's or need to be repowered. Seems like there are quite a few nicely rigged 2120 with low hours at or even below my price range. I think I could live with a freestanding livewell in the middle of the deck, especially if it had some rod holders in it for trolling and more storage. I'd definitely keep the swim platform free, since we go to the local beach quite a bit. Got to keep the Admiral happy.

hakr-

I hear you on the fishbox issue. One less thing to clean at the end of the day is a good thing. Maybe it's just the lack of storage in general that makes me hesitate on the center console? I think I might really miss my "big" cuddy on the Alby.
Do you think you boat rides better than the pilothouse version since you're back further?

Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming!

I think my 21-footer rides "better" in the tupical Chesapeake Bay chop than my 2520XL did. The smaller boat has more deadrise and yes, the control position is further back in the boat. Now, in a really bad sea state, with big waves breaking all around, the 25-footer was the tank I'd want to be in...but those days are rare on the Bay.

It's definitely a good riding boat, especially in a head sea. It's just when you stop and put a line down, then she starts a rockin'.
Love the boat, hate the repair bills on the I/O. Maybe I'll go to night school to be an engine mechanic.

Still looking for the perfect boat, maybe I'll just settle for what I've got. Wish it was a fully optioned 2310 with a Yammy F250 though!

Deadrise;

I have a 2004 2310 with a 225 Yamaha that I bought used a year and a half ago. I keep it on a lift in Deltaville a few miles down the river from you and use it much the same as you. It has a factory installed live well which was unexpected but welcome. I love the boat and the deep v handles the chop in the mouth of the Rappahannock as well as anything its size. I particularly like the walkaround as it allows an open air useage in the hot Chesapeake summer. Shade but not closed in. In the fall we puton the curtains and use it for rockfishing in the Bay until around January 1. It is warm and dry out of the spray.

For my purposes it is the perfect boat. I would keep looking for a used one. Mine without a trailer was not very far out of your price range and this was almost 2 years ago. I did however have to get it brought up from Florida.

Most of the Parker fanatics overlook the 2310 and the 2510 because they are not the traditional Parker models and sometimes the prices can be a little soft. Keep looking.

Miss Mattie-

Did I just see your boat @ Brown's? I was there for service and saw a beautiful 2310 there. Had a livewell on the port side in the back. Didn't catch the name. Love that boat!

Deadeise;

Yes that was my boat at Browns. They have been servicing my boats for years and are great to deal with. Previously only serviced Hondas but now can do Yamahas. Great guys and seem to be very knowledgeable.

Yes, I'll second that about the Brown brothers. I've been going to them since
the 90's when I bought my first Honda. Always fair and honest.

That's a great looking boat you have. The only thing I'd change about the 2310 is to add a factory livewell in place of one of the aft facing seats. Other than that, seems perfect for the Bay. Enjoy it!

The boat came with a factory (I think) livewell, located on the portside aft of the aft facing seat. I think it is a factory install because it is the parker color and all fittings and switches seem intgrated into the boat. Thus it has both of the backwards facing seats and a livewell. The livewell does take up valuable cockpit space but you cn get to the rail forward and aft of it and it is a great step when gettin on and off the boat. We have not used the livewell much but it works well for culling rockfish in the fall to decide our keepers. And the wife loves it as a cockpit table fo cocltail cruises

I was not certain about the aft facing seats but after using them for a year an a half find them very comfortable. In a chop they have less motion than the helm and passenger seats and they allow seating for more than 2.

The only real problem with the 2310 that we have found is the locker under the helm area. It is hard to get at because the hatch does not open all the way or stay open. It is not insulated as a fish box and not very useful as storage because it is always wet. The hatch is not watertight and lets in rainwater and the drain is in the forward end of the compartment although the boat always seems to ride or sit bow up. Thus we can only use it for lines, spare anchor, buckets and things that can get and stay wet. Otherwise a greatboat.

Give me a hail if you see me on the water

I have had a Parker 25 with Pilot house since 1988 Best decision in a boat I ever made. Re powered last yeat with Yamaha 200. Before that a 200 Mariner. Spent hundred of hours on lower Potomac and Chesapeak.
Great boat. Great to have choice to get out of the weather when needed. Go with the Pilot house for a long season. Have taken this boat on its bottom to Downeast Maine. No problems great trip. 8 gallons an hour at 3800 rpm doing 24 MPH BL

Back