Help needed on moving boat on the trailer......

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of replacing my Lencos with Bennett's when I find that the port trailer bunk is in the way and won't allow the tab to drop exposing the screws to remove the tab. The boat is slightly off center and the starboard tab cleared the bunk....

I need to slide the boat back on the trailer.

I've been thinking about moving the boat back several inches anyway for a better weight distribution.

What is the best i.e. easiest way to do this on dry land?

Thanks,

Richard

A quick way if you just want the boat to slide back to make the change is to let some of the line out on the winch and then lock the winch in place again. Hook the trailer up and go up a slight grade. Put the tow vehicle in reverse and step on the brakes. The boat will slide back that distance.

I used to do it when I put more focus on bottom painting when I wanted to get where the trailer rollers sat against the boat.

If you want the boat to sit farther back all the time, move the entire bracket assembly on the frame for the winch back a couple of inches. I did the same when I got my trailer.

Dana

This isn't something to screw around with. My recommendation is to take it to a marina and have it lifted by travel or fork lift and repositioned. :)

I can jack the boat up off the trailer. If I tried to get a "marina" around here to do it it would take a month or more.

I'm looking for creative DIY methods that I haven't thought of.

Gotcha. In that case, I would tie or chain the stern off to the biggest tree you can find, let some slack out from the winch, lengthen your bow safety chain and pull forward with the tow vehicle. :)

gw204":3tjgpeoq said:
Gotcha. In that case, I would tie or chain the stern off to the biggest tree you can find, let some slack out from the winch, lengthen your bow safety chain and pull forward with the tow vehicle. :)

I've thought of that..... decided it would be too easy....

Richard, either way works.

I've done the way I said (putting vehicle in reverse) several times. No, the boat doesn't end up on the pavement.

You can see the slope of my driveway in the photo below. I just pull up to the top of the grade, go back about 5 feet or so in reverse and step on brake. It won't take much.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02422 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02422 (Medium).JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,073
dcunniff":cu04i64a said:
Richard, either way works.

I've done the way I said (putting vehicle in reverse) several times. No, the boat doesn't end up on the pavement.

You can see the slope of my driveway in the photo below. I just pull up to the top of the grade, go back about 5 feet or so in reverse and step on brake. It won't take much.

Dana

Two issues:

Here on the Eastern Shore I'd have to drive around all day looking of a grade that steap. I could do it at the boat ramp.

Your boat is going to move a lot easier on the rollers.... I have bunks.

I'll probably try it later today if nothing else than for the advancement of Parker science for the DIY.

Right now I'm busy with wiring the Bennett switch and other things I can do in the cabin with the heater going..... why am I so sleepy..... yaaawn....

Just kidding.

Richard

Your boat is on a bunk trailer and I would not attempt to slide it. Rather jack up each side of the stern with bottle jacks and support with concrete blocks with a 2x4 on the top block under the chine. You only need to raise the boat slightly off the bunks. Next go to the bow,( about where the hatch is located or where the cabin starts) and jack up under the keel in the same way. With the boat "off" the trailer you should be able to reposition it by pushing the trailer without a tow vehicle. If you use a vehicle watch the blocks under the bow so you don't bang them or knock them over.

Well now, puttin gray matter to the simple issue for the lazy, yet daring Parker owner, we could:
1. Get the local Sumo wrestlers port & starboard to rock the baby back
2. Take a chain saw and cut the bunks where ever you want to
3. Get a big bunch of cats in harness and hitch em to the the stern before throwing raw fish behind them
4. Get a glog of balloons - naw forget this one
5. Build a launch ramp into your swimming pool and adjust adjust. Could also do the engine blow outs here, watch prop performance with scuba gear, learn to do really tight circles, etc.
6. Give your big neighborhood lurks sledge hammers while you hold two 2X4's against the bunks and let them wack you back (stap loose of course) a stroke at a time (yep, fold yer thumbs back)
7. Get Air Force surplus jato bottles and some duck tape and a match

Jist call any time - we're never all here

greatcir":3r618q3x said:
Well now, puttin gray matter to the simple issue for the lazy, yet daring Parker owner, we could:
1. Get the local Sumo wrestlers port & starboard to rock the baby back
2. Take a chain saw and cut the bunks where ever you want to
3. Get a big bunch of cats in harness and hitch em to the the stern before throwing raw fish behind them
4. Get a glog of balloons - naw forget this one
5. Build a launch ramp into your swimming pool and adjust adjust. Could also do the engine blow outs here, watch prop performance with scuba gear, learn to do really tight circles, etc.
6. Give your big neighborhood lurks sledge hammers while you hold two 2X4's against the bunks and let them wack you back (stap loose of course) a stroke at a time (yep, fold yer thumbs back)
7. Get Air Force surplus jato bottles and some duck tape and a match

Jist call any time - we're never all here

All these are very good ideas and some would work better than others.

I checked the yellow pages to see if there were perhaps thousands of Egyptian slaves I could hire but alas... there were none.

I could solve the problem and drive the 20 minutes to my boat ramp and offload and adjust and go from there.... but the cold winter temperatures are perhaps affecting my brain in an odd way.

I made a harness for the dog and cat but after an hour they gave up..... now they are tired. :D

turnabit.jpg

To all those who tried to help me come up with an alternative engineering method I want to let you know I'll be taking the boat to the ramp Friday and offloading and adjusting the trailer as needed.

I'll just have to do a few things like put the batteries back in and seal up a few holes from the removal on the starboard trim tab.

Maybe I'll start collecting all the necessary items for future projects where I need to lift the boat up off the trailer.

Thanks,

Richard

I liked it also but just couldn't bring myself to be the one to find out the max load on those cleats was a bit lower than the load applied.

Richard

Back