Help with an installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a very simplistic question, but I want to install my charplotter in the console and I have never cut into one before. Can anyone give me the steps, including the tools and the "watch out fors" to accomplish this? I have viewed many posts showing the different positions members have chosen for their instruments and have decided the area that I want to put it and just need to know how to go about it. I have not seen a step by step in the threads. Thanks to all for your help and guidance!
Bob

The most important thing I can tell you is to really look at it and measure it. Before you cut, you need to make sure there is enough room behind it. Not only for the unit itself, but for all the connections that may be involved. That’s what I mean by really look at it. You don’t want to find out the hard way. Take you time. If you’re new at this, make a practice cut in some junk plywood. Go ahead lay it all out and see what’s involved. Drill the corners and cut it all out and see how much clearence you really have and what you can do better. When you lay it out use masking tape on the gelcoat so you don’t scratch it. After you get the real one cut out. Take a small round file and round the edges, especially in the corners so they won’t crack later.

Oh, and did I remind you to take you time.

Top Shot is exactly correct. Think it through. The newer Garmin plotters have a self adhesive template which makes the layout part easier than when I installed mine. What I remember most is that it took forever to cut out the hole. It's thick material and I used a jigsaw. Went through 3-4 blades cutting it out. Also, make sure you mark the holes for securing the unit PERFECTLY. There is not a lot of margin for error there.

I missed the mark as you can see. Definately use 2 layers of tape over the area your tool will be coming in contact with.

Attachments

• 4212 cut out.jpg
    4212 cut out.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 709
  • Garmin 4212 (Small).jpg
    Garmin 4212 (Small).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 709
Thanks for the advice. It brings back memories of what my Dad used to say:"measure twice and cute once". Now, I even measure more than twice! I have one of those rotary tools. I wonder if that would work or should I just stick with the jigsaw. In any event, I can see from the picture the thickness that I will be dealing with . Thanks a bunch. I'll be practicing like you suggested too!! Wish me luck.
Bob

Some thoughts ...

1) Check the BACK-side for clearance of the tool

2) Measure 3-times ;) and layout with plenty of 3M blue tape, then drill a nice hole for the corners.

3) Spin drill backwards to cut/smooth a dimple through the gelcoat so she won't grab and chip, then drill through, 1/8" or less. Then repeat with a 1/4" or so + , for the corner to give room for the jigsaw blade.

4) Get an old fashioned brown paper grocery-type bag and TAPE it to the back of the place to be cutout, so it covers the area of the 4 holes. This will catch all the sawdust ;) ... neat idea ... I thought of it too :D !

5) Cut out using a new DOWNward cutting laminate blade.

6) Sand, file, deburr ...

Have fun!

I just did this this weekend and I used a jig saw for all of the cuts except the bottom one. For this I used a sawzall. Worked good, but I nicked the hydraulic steering hose :shock:
After the hole was cut I used a electric dental lab drill and a straight shank pinapple bur to smooth out the hole and slightly enlarge as needed.
I also took off the complete back cover, to expose the wiring and the back of the dash.

If you've got a steady hand you can use a grinder w/ cutoff wheel to cut the top layer of glass. Then jigsaw through the core.

And have someone help you and hold a shop vac close to your tool, that way you really cut the dust to a minimal, but all the tips are the right ones !!!!

Latest posts

Back