Help with Pulpit mystery. ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannonigans

Reaction score
. .....ok. ..here goes. . . ....last year I started to get a brown "something" leaking out from under my pulpit. .....first time I saw it I thought it was melted chocolate ice cream. ...ha. .no! Whatever it is leaks from the under the caulk .....where the pulpit lays on the bow (deck). ....and it is a PIA to clean. My big plans to remove the pulpit this past winter to investigate/repair never happened. ......for the life of me I can't figure out what this brown(ish) mystery crud is. ... ..rotten wood/filler? Rusty hardware? Any insight as to what it may be would be great. . .....

I know Rosky just sold one that was removed. . .....and maybe Mikey bought it? You guys have any thoughts??

Thanks in advance. . .. . ......will try to throw up a picture of it this weekend. .....

Most likely leakage from some wet wood.
Should be fairly simple to repair once the pulpit is removed.

. . ....tried to get a couple pics the other day ... ...they're not the best but. ...this is what is coming out from under the pulpit. . ....it had just rained pretty heavy so some of it washed away. What is left will have to be scrubbed off and sometimes requires bleach to remove. .....

. . ......no matter what it is I believe I will be living with it for the rest of the year and digging into it in the winter. . ....which is the same thing I said last year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• brown bow 2.jpg
    brown bow 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 251
  • brown bow 1.jpg
    brown bow 1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 250
If it were me, I would NOT use 3M 4200 or something like that. LifeCaulk, maybe.
I would use clear silicone in case you want to remove or repair it in the future.

If you have a thru the pulpit Lewmar windlass, they have been know trap water within the housing that turns into a rusty looking liquid sludge that can eventually leach out like shown in your pic.

I suspect your getting leakage around the fasteners. I also suspect the flange is slightly cracked where it was put together.

Rain & water getting in around the fasteners.....Plywood core is wet and leaching out via the seam crack.

100_5116_zps0c9fcc39.jpg

. . . ...thanks for the input guys. ....I'm sure the seam (flange) where it is attached is broken . ...especially because that's where all this is leaking from. . ....so it would be pretty safe to say that water is also getting in that way. My lazy azz procrastination got me again this winter. .....so I'll be living with it until she comes out of the water again. . ...plan on putting another bead of life caulk around it until then.. ...maybe keep some water out and brown ooze in!

It just unbolts from the deck and the bow rail..... But be careful..... It's kinda heavy.

Shannonigans":204xv6dc said:
. . . ...thanks for the input guys. ....I'm sure the seam (flange) where it is attached is broken . ...especially because that's where all this is leaking from. . ....so it would be pretty safe to say that water is also getting in that way. My lazy azz procrastination got me again this winter. .....so I'll be living with it until she comes out of the water again. . ...plan on putting another bead of life caulk around it until then.. ...maybe keep some water out and brown ooze in!

Are you sure you want to seal it up and keep any water in? I would believe that if you can't stop the water intrusion now you would be better off letting it weep out. good luck

Back