High Water Alarm - forward or aft in my 2520XL?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludicrous40

Reaction score
Installing water witch bilge switches, and a high water alarm. I have both forward and aft bilge pumps in my 2520XL.

It seems that most have installed the high water alarm in the aft bilge, but my forward bilge is the only one that ever has water in it. Given that, wouldn't it make sense to put the high water alarm sensor in the forward bilge? I can understand that the water is likely to gather in the aft bilge when underway, but when I overnight, and when I tuna fish, I spend hours on the hook. Am I missing something? What is the right decision?

Obviously hoping that it never goes off in either location....

I would still think the aft bilge? I'm assuming your bilges are connected by PVC that runs all the way up to the anchor locker? Eventually any serious water will end up aft, IMO. Was wondering if you wet slip your boat and if that is the reason you always see the water in the front one? My guess is that water from the anchor locker when it rains only makes it to the forward bilge due to the angle of the boat at rest in the slip? Your thru hull is in the aft one along with the plug etc... More things to go seriously wrong so I would put it aft. JMO.

Yes, in a slip, and the boat does have the PVC between the two. But your point makes sense, a pump let go, etc.. it would be in the aft bilge.

Mine is in the aft bilge area.
The front bilge is connected to the rear and as water collects in the forward bilge, it ships aft even while in the slip.

If you want proof of that, pour some Simple Green in the forward bilge water while you are on the boat.
It won't take long before your aft bilge water becomes green as well (if you have any water in there).
Proof that the water ships aft, and a great way to clean your bilge too. :D

I installed a Water Witch high water alarm several years ago.
The transducer for the alarm is suspended on the bilge pump wiring using zip ties.

During a particularly nasty nor`easter, the marina owner called me to tell me I had an alarm going off on my boat. :shock:
Turned out that the deck hatch over the bilge pumps leaked water on to the transducer setting it off.

After that storm, I fabricated a 'rain hat' for the transducer with a small piece of aluminum.
If water were to come up and contact the transducer from underneath, the alarm will sound, but rain or wash water that leaks through the deck hatch will not set it off due to the cover. :wink:

The piezo alarm was mounted in the port side transom transom hatch below my battery charger plug.
That thing is scary loud.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN0040.jpg
    DSCN0040.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 152
An issue with the Parker design is that the bilge water drains forward. 25ish Pilothouse
our old boat rotted from the head because of this. our 2002 comes with a factory installed pump to clear this
once the water gets to the aft pump you will have a foot of water in the front.
That said check your wiring to make sure both pumps are on direct fused circuits.
The primary pump should be small (fwd) this pump works all the time and should be installed so it is easy to clean and replace.
If you are not using a computer pump install with a switch like a WATERWITCH. I have hundreds of stories and lost hours due to float paddle switches jamming up or down.
The aft pump should be a BIG pump. It should have a BIG hose that is NOT CORRUGATED. This pump is for TROUBLE not maintenence

Quality bilge output hose has the helix on the outside. The inside is smooth.

You can buy the white 'water supply hose' that is smooth inside and out, but it does not bend well and may kink if forced into a radius it was not designed for.
Water supply hose is typically used in pressurized applications.

Back