High Water Alarm

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I think I bought this high water alarm about 3 years ago, and just got motivated to install it today.
Not real difficult an install. The most difficult part was keeping the sweat from dripping on to my glasses as I worked inside the transom and in the bilge.

Decided to put the alarm and light on the port side transom door.
Made a paper template of the cutout size I'd need, and transferred the area to be cut out to the door.
That is my Guest battery charger port above.

web.jpg

Drilled 4 holes in the corners and my saber saw made quick work cutting the door.
Fitted the panel to the door and drilled 4 holes for the ss screws, then attached it to the door.

web.jpg

Then the sweat work began. :shock:
I wired from the alarm panel back through the transom, and into the bilge area where I had located the high water transducer.
It's amazing how profusely one can sweat when working in such a confined space. :shock:

web.jpg

I decided to mount the high water transducer on top of the primary and backup bilge pump wires with zip ties.
That way if I want to move the transducer later, it should be easy to do.
If water were to get to this level, it means something is seriously wrong with the two 1500 gph (primary and backup) bilge pumps.

web.jpg

That's not water in the bilge, that's sweat. :shock:
All in all, a worthwhile safety upgrade. :wink:

Nice work..... I'm guessing the video of the sinking Century and the "Merlin" picking them up got you thinking too!!! I just wired in an alarm on my back up pump too as I got to thinking that if I was fishing & listening to music, etc and my primary & backup bilge pumps were on, I might not notice it happening until it was too late. Also figured, it the 2 pumps came on while it was docked & I wasn't there, now it will alert someone!! :)

Actually, this alarm has been in my "project" crate for so long, all I was looking for was the time... but the story was a motivating factor. :)
Since the wife was away for the weekend, and the weather cooperated, I decided it was time.

Not difficult... but between the heat and the confined spaces, I collected a few extra scrapes and bruises.
Still not completely happy with the location of the transducer, so I'll be back down there today to see if I can make it better.

Two projects completed this weekend, both safety related.
Time well spent. 8)

Went back to the boat this morning to re-position the high water transducer.
I'd left a bit of extra wire thinking that I might have to do this, and it turned out to be a good call.

I used some industrial strength velcro and attached the transducer to the stbd stringer just above the battery base.
This is above the switch for the backup bilge pump, but right at the base of the batteries.

If for some reason I find this position is too low, all I need to do is to pull the transducer from the velcro and re-position it a bit higher.
I don't anticipate having to do that, but it's nice to know that it is 'adjustable'. :)

Edit:
Forgot the photo!

web.jpg

Megabyte":16qtj2ol said:
This is above the switch for the backup bilge pump, but right at the base of the batteries.

If for some reason I find this position is too low, all I need to do is to pull the transducer from the velcro and re-position it a bit higher.
I'd say mine is mounted about that height. I only had it go off once ... while powering to plane and heading offshore ... must have been some rainwater in the fwd bilge that rushed aft upon the acceleration. Scared the snot out of me when it went off ... loud suckers they are! And that's a GOOD thing ;) !

Capt. Kevin,

What kind of alarm is that. I need to get one and don't really know what's on the market. I remember reading a post about this quite some time back and agree now is a good time. I just had a washdown pump hose leak and it got me thinking about something more realiable then just expecting my bilge pump to take care a problem. It seemed that you guys had a strong opinion as to which one of these to get.

Thanks, John

That particular one is by MSC and I bought it several years ago when I bought my origional solid state bilge pump switches from the same company.
Unfortunately, one of those 'lifetime' bilge pump switches failed, so I replaced all of them with WaterWitch model 101 switches.

A quick Google search didn't bring up the company, so they might not be in business anymore.

If I were to buy right now, I'd get the BP500 bilge alarm from WaterWitch. This company makes quality stuff.
http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteEl ... oduct.html

Thanks, adding a link too, you're the man. I will look into it so I can get started. Nothing like quality when it comes to the important stuff.

Just curious, why did you decide to mount it in the stern? aside from ease of install, of course, but it seems like if you were running, the noise of the engine and wind might drown out the sound of the alarm from that distance, and when sitting, an alarm on the dash would be just as audible as one in the stern. other than that, it looks like a good install and a great project.

You would be surprised how loud that alarm is.
The day I was testing it, one of the marina workers came to investigate what was making "that horrible sound". :)

Back