Honda Opinions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cker

Reaction score
Considering Honda 4-stroke for a 20-25 pilothouse and wondering why nobody seems to be saying much about them. I know that Parkers come equipped with Yamahas but surely there are some people who opt for different motors. I like the Honda because it is patterned on the Accord engine, lots of dealer networks, and it's a durable motor. Had a Suzuki 70 on my old boat and it sipped gas, most economical motor I've ever owned. It was too heavy for boat but plenty of power and quiet. Unfortunately, Suzuki doesn't seem to have the dealer network that Honda has so that's why I would prefer Honda.
What y'all think?

I think people can opt for what they want, but if they want a new Parker, it'll have a Yamaha on it! (that's the only way they leave Beaufort). 8)

My father has twin 2001 130hp Hondas. He loves them other than their weight. Each one weighs nearly as much as my 225 OptiMax. They sip fuel, are silky smooth, and very quiet at idle. They just weigh a ton for their power output

I had a Honda 130 on my 21se. I loved it ! At the time it was the largest 4 stroke available, and that's what I wanted. If I had a choice between Honda or Yamadoo, I would take the Honda. They are both very good, so from what I've always read, it boils down to how close service would be to you. They are very smooth ...

VERY expensive on parts and repairs, but luckily they don't break too often. Not only are they extremely heavy, they are not the most torque-equipped OB out there, probably even the slowest, taking quite a while to get up onto plane. I don't think I'd put one on a heavy Parker if it were me.

FWIW a friend just had a 90hp Honda running doggy and while I told him I could fix it for him and he could save the recepts for warranty purposes, he wanted the dealer to do it. Rack up another $1200 bill for simple carb and tune-up work :shock: !

My slip neighbor had a Proline 25 WA that had a pair of 200 hp Mercury Mariners on it that were always leaving him stranded. Frustrated, he decided to repower with twin 200 Hondas...

The good news was that the new Hondas were silky smooth, great on fuel, and quiet.
The bad news haunted him until the day he sold the boat.

The Hondas were so heavy that the motor bracket was awash, even when the boat was at rest. If he put more than 50 gallons of fuel in the boat, the rear scuppers were underwater. 2 people fishing in the rear of the 'pit always had wet feet. Ping pong ball scupper covers helped, but didn't eliminate the problem.

After the repower, the bottom paint line had to be restruck, raising it to the top of the bracket in the stern. Graphics were removed and replaced to compensate.

One motor ran flawlessly, but the other had electrical gremlins right from the beginning. Not sure what the actual cause was, as many parts (including the computer) were replaced under warrenty, but he eventually got her running well.

During the second year of ownership he started having issues with corrosion, especially in the area of the tilt and trim motors. Not sure if the corrosion was caused by faulty parts, or the fact the motor got a constant salt bath due to the 'low rider' stance.

Tilt and trim was replaced on both motors. One at two years, the other at three.
Boat was sold, and last I heard, the new owner was asking for advice on adding a larger motor bracket with more flotation to get the stern up out of the weeds.

The mechanical problems my neighbor had may have all been related to salt water damage, on a boat that was never designed to carry that much weight. Most people who own Hondas report good experience mechanically, but I have read that some motors have experienced corrosion issues (THT and TF).

Unless I was buying a new boat that was designed for motors this heavy, Honda would be my last choice.
Reliable? Yes, but at a cost.

Image-62A1B0DEFA4F11D9.jpg

Look at the wetted area of my neighbors Hondas next to my Yamaha.
These are both 25" shaft motors...

Megabyte":28l526l4 said:
My slip neighbor had a Proline 25 WA that had a pair of 200 hp Mercury Mariners on it that were always leaving him stranded. Frustrated, he decided to repower with twin 200 Hondas...

The good news was that the new Hondas were silky smooth, great on fuel, and quiet.
The bad news haunted him until the day he sold the boat.

The Hondas were so heavy that the motor bracket was awash, even when the boat was at rest. If he put more than 50 gallons of fuel in the boat, the rear scuppers were underwater. 2 people fishing in the rear of the 'pit always had wet feet. Ping pong ball scupper covers helped, but didn't eliminate the problem.

After the repower, the bottom paint line had to be restruck, raising it to the top of the bracket in the stern. Graphics were removed and replaced to compensate.

One motor ran flawlessly, but the other had electrical gremlins right from the beginning. Not sure what the actual cause was, as many parts (including the computer) were replaced under warrenty, but he eventually got her running well.

During the second year of ownership he started having issues with corrosion, especially in the area of the tilt and trim motors. Not sure if the corrosion was caused by faulty parts, or the fact the motor got a constant salt bath due to the 'low rider' stance.

Tilt and trim was replaced on both motors. One at two years, the other at three.
Boat was sold, and last I heard, the new owner was asking for advice on adding a larger motor bracket with more flotation to get the stern up out of the weeds.

The mechanical problems my neighbor had may have all been related to salt water damage, on a boat that was never designed to carry that much weight. Most people who own Hondas report good experience mechanically, but I have read that some motors have experienced corrosion issues (THT and TF).

Unless I was buying a new boat that was designed for motors this heavy, Honda would be my last choice.
Reliable? Yes, but at a cost.

:shock: WOW...Hondas are car motors converted to marine use, Yamahas are engineered as marine engines. Gotta wonder, maybe there's a reason why Parker Management specs only Yamaha.

I wasn't trying to start a brand war...
Just my observations of a boat I had sitting in a slip next to me for 3 years.

My Eastern 22 had a Honda 130 and my Sisu I had repowered to a Suzuki 115. I was expecting great things out of the Honda, but I couldn't believe how much that thing weighed and how slow it was to come to speed from a stop. Had the same scupper issues that were mentioned above.

Currently have a Yamaha SWS II 250 HP 2 stroke and like it okay. If I had to repower I would probably go with the Suzuki for the weight factor. About 100 lb.s lighter than a comparable Honda and at least 50 lb.s less than a Yamaha F250.

FishFactory":14i1urbs said:
WOW...Hondas are car motors converted to marine use, Yamahas are engineered as marine engines. Gotta wonder, maybe there's a reason why Parker Management specs only Yamaha.
Hold your shock ... as the Yam 350hp 4-stroke is an auto engine turned on its side too ;) ! And ... nutthin' wrong with that! I am NOT bashing Yamaha here.

In fact, if I owned a bizness and had to supply power on the stern, if would have been Merc or Yam for me too, and I know Merc had wicked teething issues with the Optis ...

FishFactory":2y9nccde said:
:shock: WOW...Hondas are car motors converted to marine use, Yamahas are engineered as marine engines. Gotta wonder, maybe there's a reason why Parker Management specs only Yamaha.

I thought it was $$$. I heard Yam was "dumping" engines on manufacturers to ensure sales. :p :lol:

B-Faithful":2sojiuvt said:
I thought it was $$$. I heard Yam was "dumping" engines on manufacturers to ensure sales. :p :lol:

I wish they'd 'dump' a new 250 (or 300) on me! :)

B-Faithful":3dxk16fb said:
FishFactory":3dxk16fb said:

:? Yeah, I believe Merc lost that one. Maybe it was the Grady and Regulator execs testifying for Yamaha. :lol:

Quote "The Outdoor Wire" "The company's first V-8 powerhead was designed specifically for the marine market"

Wanna here the sound of the future? Try...
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... /home.aspx
To quote Lynerd Skynerd, "Turn it up" :D

When finished, click on "video" for a full report. "Purpose Built" is mentioned 4 times (who's counting, anyway :wink: )

On my way to finding the above, I found this, "Yamaha is the only outboard to win NMMA CSI Customer Satisfaction award EVERY TIME since its' inception"

Strangely, the weight issues were what plagued me with the SeaPro 19'6" skiff and Suzuki 70. Cockpit drains were constantly letting water run back in so that most fishing was done in shoetop deep water. I used 4 different types of scupper drains including the ping-pong ball type - all with the same result. Finally resorted to PITA solution of using boiler test plugs to close off the drains.
After reading much about the Yamahas and some horror stories (with a Parker, no less) I was looking hard at the Hondas but I guess Parker is stock with Yamahas unless there is some provision for a refit.
Thanks for all the feedback.

The Honda 225 and Yamadoo 225 are about 20 lbs appart in weight. Not very significant. I will admit that the old 130 was heavy, only 100 lbs less than a 225. :wink:

Back