honda vs yamaha 200 for 25 CC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pboettger

Reaction score
Getting ready to put a motor on my 1990 25 CC (deadrise 14 degrees). According to Mr. Denton at Parker, the boat was rated for 150-225 hp. I've pretty much settled on going with a 200 Honda or Yamaha, and will be looking for used in the 2003-2006 year models. I've got readily available service for both. By all accounts they are both excellent motors. I've heard from different sources that both ocassionally have lower unit corrosion problems, but that Hondas are easier to work on, and may have an edge in fuel efficiency at mid-high rpms. I don't antipate doing much trolling, and most time on the engine will be spent running distances of 2-10 miles. Any experience, thoughts, opinions about comparison?

Peter Boettger
Greenville, NC

Suzuki would be my 1st choice, with the Honda 2nd. No Yam 4Ss for me.

Hi Peter,
It's time to get that boat on the water!
I seem to see more Honda moters on commercial boats, Coast Guard, etc. in this area. (Not a scientific poll).
Don't know what that means if anything other than a better sales agreement with Honda.
I've never had a Honda so I have no personal experience with them but the Yamaha's I've had have been pretty bulletproof.

Good to hear from you Dave. I should have specified that the engine willl definitely be a 4 stroke.

Peter

Yamaha is absolutely bulletproof. Mine is 10 years old and has never even had a hiccup. Starts first turn everytime and runs super strong.

Back