Horns on Pilot House

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck fluke

Reaction score
Hi have a set of horns that are not working on my pilot house. I change the horn button but still not working? I touch the two wires together and no horn. I did not check all the other connections yet but is this a common problem with the horns after a while, due to the salt elements?

I'm planing to tackle the same problem on my Parker this summer. One thing I learned on my trawler is to tip the trumpet on a slight downward angle. This way water will run out of the mouth of the horn and not collect in the inner works. Yeah, I know, there are drain holes, but still...

BTW, a few years ago my horns stopped working. I took the darn things apart, cleaned all the connections and the reeds (or whatever they are called) and sprayed everything with CorrosionBlock. It worked!! Still works today.

As other have said...

1. Tip the trumpets down so water runs out.
2. Spray a corrosion inhibitor into them as a regular maintenance item.
After you do that, shove a paper towel in so you don't stain your gelcoat.
3. 'Exercise' the horns once in awhile while you are out on the water to keep them working.

My suggestion is do away with them.

They will always be a PITA no matter what brand....and they are to freaking expensive.

Yeah, they can be a PITA but those dual trumpets sure sound great when they work. :D

I replaced the non-functioning ones with some that I bought from Amazon for under $100 and they are still working after two years of use. They were an exact replacement fit that didn't require any new holes to be drilled. I paired the original rubber cushion with the replacement cushion to give the horns a slight downward slant. So far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine tilted down to keep the water out and after putting her to bed I always stuffed some paper towel into the openings to keep the mud daubers out. But yeah, I loved the blast from those twin horns especially when jet skis didn't show the proper respect.......but they only lasted 3-4 years for me and i was babying them big time. They were about $100 at West Marine.

Back