How do I synchronize my compass reading to the GPS ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. Let's narrow this down to the real issue which is, I'm not quite adept at honing in on a waypoint yet.

Again, I get to say within 50' of the waypoint; now I'm trying to get right on top of it to see what's underneath. I get a bearing off the GPS and as I close in on those last 50', my GPS is recalculating the bearing. As it's recalculating, I'm still moving, using my compass to course. Now the GPS has a new bearing and sure as H, I'm off my target.

I try to compensate, GPS recalcs, and here we go again.

It's operator error :oops: I just have to figure it out by playing with it.

The cupholder idea isn't a bad one though... :wink:

Is the issue your GPS not "ARRIVING" at a waypoint? If so, there is a setting for what the GPS will reconize as "ARRIVING." You might have the setting at 0 in which case you'll have to be dead on for the GPS to report arriving, then plotting to the next waypoint. My GPS is set at 25'. I only have to be within 25' of a waypoint for the GPS to report arriving.
If you ask me, if you're 50' from a waypoint, you're there.

My 2 cents. All of the above seems quite accurate. Just go into your chart setup options and change to "magnetic north" instead of "true north" and you should be alright. I like "true north" on my GPS and am aware of the difference which the display will make. In my area here at the Jersey Shore it's 13 degrees W offset I believe. After a beer or two while fishing, we always seem to find our way back to the inlet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was doing some chart work the other day. I was using a small hand held compass as an aid. I happened to slide the compass across the table while watching the needle. In just one foot the needle moved about 15 degrees. I can't explain DEVIATION better then that, outside forces effecting the compass reading.

Danielb, the way you work the circles is what I call the "Seamans Eye."

Back