How to fix this?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bracket that holds my porta potti down had rusted screws for years. Strange because it never gets wet up there and these crews sure don't look to be stainless.
Anyway, I have the new bracket, and I had to destroy the old one to get the heads exposed enough to get a pair of pliers around them to unscrew. Well, of course they snapped off and most of them are now buried in the hole. I was planning on drilling the hole out over sized, cleaning it out well, filling with epoxy and re-drilling new holes. How far down do you think I can safely go with the drill without an "oops" moment realizing the bit went to far. It's impossible for me to determine how long the old screws were.

They look like plain old carbon steel screws, but note even SS ones will corrode when cut-out from free atmosphere - called crevice corrosion. Also the environment up there was 'wet' w/ moisture in the air and perhaps even the bottom of the potti had condensation on it, which were immediately adjacent to the screw heads.

I'd drill out w/ cobalt drill and EZ Out, but on occasion have used a wood 'plug cutter' to drill out AROUND the broken-off screw and then simply 'snap' the center portion out that has the offending broken screw. Fix w/ epoxy, buying the $20 sample Raka epoxy kit from Larry at http://www.raka.com if needed. It gives you epoxy, hardeners, fillers et al needed to effect small repairs easily.

Tinted 1-part polyurethane 'sand' color paint from West Marine is almost an identical match if needed, at least for small spots like this.

Greetings,

I would soak with a good penetrant and try a quality screw extractor (that cuts into the Philips head) first. Worse case it snaps off. If so, drill out with the smallest size bit possible. Good luck.

Since they are pretty much out already, I would use a 1/2" number 10 ss screw and call it good.

It's only a porta potty. That and a little 5200 it will be there for life.

Hi Tim,
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Maybe we can have a get together this winter. Hope all is well. Awesome Striper season.
" Bean "

If there is a deckplate in the area you should be able to be pretty accurate measurement of the floor thickness so you don't poke through.

When I've have a screw break off like that, I just drill a bunch of really small holes all around it. After that I can usually grab it with needle nose pliers as that point. Once it's out, clean up the hole and fill with epoxy.

The same thing happened to mine (not a Parker). They wanted $12 plus shipping for the new tiny plastic clip. I made one out of aluminum, took out the rear mount and just moved the potty up and inch.
IMG_0671.jpg

Back