How to get rust stains off cushions??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dream catcher

Reaction score
I have some small rust stains on my cushions in the cabin, looks like water dripped down and made stains, I have tried several things to get them off and nothing has worked, anyone have any ideas for this??? Thanks.

Did you try Comet/Soft Srub with Bleach and a good brush? Maybe even an SOS pad. I assume you are referring to vinyl cushions and not cloth.

My brother also hooked me up with a bottle of Crud Cutter (can find at HD/Lowes) that he used to clean the siding on his house. It seems to take care of most stains. Just spray it on, let it sit for a bit and then wipe/wash it off.

Shake on some BarKeepers Friend and let it sit overnight. The Oxalic acid in there will work on the stain.

I did it once and was very suprised how it got out what I thought was a permanent rust stain in a cushion.

John's got it right. I power wash homes for a living (21 years) and remove rust from many surfaces.
Oxalic acid is the way to go providing the surface is colorfast.
The acid is mild but can still burn your skin so wear good rubber gloves and eye protection.
Pull the cushions out and make sure you have plenty of air circulation in the area you are working, fumes can be bad for your lungs, a resperator is advised.

You can buy oxalic acid at Lowes , it's in most wood/deck brightners. Although the dilution is homeowner stuff it will work if you let is sit long enough.

Neutralize the acid with a base like dish washing soap in water.

Capt Brian

Whink Rust Stain Remover. Can be bought at the grocery store or hardware store. Works wonders. Wet them and let this stuff sit on the stain until its gone. Then rinse.

Latest posts

Back