How to improve the ride quality on my Parker 2501CC Deep V

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cudarj

Reaction score
I purchased a Parker 2501 CC Deep V last year. I'm thinking of ways to improve my boat's ride.

I have thought about purchasing ballast bags to put in the forward seat compartments to add weight to the bow of the boat.

I also spoke to Parker Manufacture about installing perma-trim or 4 bladed propellers, but I think this is only good for getting the boat on plane quicker not necessarily improving ride quality.

Transom wedges is another device I thought about installing as well.

Anyone else have these experiences? Please let me know what you think.

Position weight forward until you achieve the desired outcome. Then replace the ballast with useful items.

Lithium batts weigh a fraction of AGMs or standard lead acid.

Get rid of rear folding seat.

Store your catch forward of the console.

Store lightweight items such as buckets/dead bait in the transom compartment.

Chasing props=expensive with some but marginal effectiveness

Permatrims=relatively inexpensive, make the boat ride longer, stays on plane at slower speeds and more level at cruise with a better ride. Use the provided stainless bolts hand-tighten, use black slow cure 5200 on the entire contact area. Easy clean up of the 5200 with good quality rags and paint thinner. Wait 7 days to avoid washout.

I have the same hull (2520XLD) and Permatrim made no difference in ride quality. It planes better, but the ride is the same. Depending on budget, look at the new Seakeeper trim tab things. I’m going to see if I can find someone to install them this winter. They look pretty impressive. I think this is the link. Products - Seakeeper Ride

Thanks for the inputs.

I spoke to someone about seakeeper trim tabs and according to him it is more effective at higher speeds.

I would be interested to see how effective they really and definitely open to it. Please keep me updated on that.

Store as much of your gear as far forward as possible. Bait tanks, passengers sitting in bean bags near the stern, coolers stored aft will all have a detrimental effect on the ride.

In general, try to minimize weight in the stern as much as possible.

Make use of trim tabs and engine trim.

Most importantly understand the limits of your hull’s design and accept that as much as you may want it, a Parker Hull isn’t going to ride as well in some conditions as other boats of the same size and there will be days when you MUST SLOW DOWN!!!!

Also keep in mind that there is no “free lunch” in physics so if you’re intentionally adding ballast weight forward. (Bad idea IMO), you will be tasking your engine to push that extra ballast weight through the water and that will impact fuel economy.

I agree with Mpellet. Anything you do has a corresponding effect. I have a modified V and it is even a bit worse than the deep V. I slow down to about 21 KTS and it is bearable. It is what it is. As with every boat, there are compromises. I did install permatrim and changed the prop so I do stay on plane at a slower speed, but the change in ride was insignificant.

Unlike their DV cousins MV Parkers due to their natural stern lift/deadrise at the transom do not benefit significantly from a permatrim.

With the exception of the 2801/2820 an offshore Parker is a 25-30 mph hull.

It is an awesome boat and can go faster on a calm day but that is not what it is designed for.

Where are the batteries? What prop?

Moving the house and start batteries out of the bilge and placing them in the console helped the ride of my 23 DVCC.

A four blade prop also helped compared to a three blade. Boat runs flatter with less bow rise and feels less stern heavy when on plane.

With the exception of the 2801/2820 an offshore Parker is a 25-30 mph hull.

It is an awesome boat and can go faster on a calm day but that is not what it is designed for.
My 2801 is also a 25-30 mph boat unless you want to get beat up. I run 24" tabs to get the nose down. I'm pretty happy with it and I love my 23 DV parker as well.

There are always more ways than one to improve a behavior on a boat.

My 2801 wears permatrims on both 300s. Trim tabs are completely unnecessary unless you have big passengers on one side of the boat.

In a 3ft Gulf chop 35mph/3600 rpm is good with no pounding. Any less seastate and 45mph/4600rpm is good although there is fair loss of fuel efficiency at that speed.

Reactions: A-K
Thanks for the inputs. I do get it, I don't expect to go over 25 miles per hour or 20 mph on snotty, rough days. I am just trying to brainstorm the best ways to improve the r on a slightly rough day. I am seriously considering the transom wedges. I talked to the installer yesterday and he said it would give me five more degrees of additional tilt on the motor. He installs them regularly on parker's. Also considering buying ballast bags that I could put up on the forward seating area to weigh down the bow a little bit more. They're removable so I can always take them out if need be.

To answer Captain Matt the trolling motor batteries are installed in the very front compartment and I do have a standard 3 bladed prop

If we are being honest there are few boats 30 ft and under that run comfortably in real 3 ft offshore conditions above 30 mph. I had a Cobia 296 nope. Had a Contender 31 nope. I ran 35 mph in these boats but it wasn’t comfortable. My buddy has a 2501 which I’ve spent time on in a variety of conditions and the boat is rock solid but you need to keep the bow down in a head sea to be comfortable at 30 mph. 4 blade props solve this problem easily.

I don’t get it . I have a 2021 2501. The boat rides great for what it is , a 21 degree deadrise CC. I’ve been on all sorts of boats and the comment that all 30’ or less CCs ride similar is very true. A little bow high on accell , yep, but nothing the tabs & trim don’t overcome.

I would try a four blade prop. Easy to try out without permanent modifications and very likely to provide stern lift that will improve ride. A four blade prop can be a surprising difference in ride and handling characteristics.

Prop Gods in Florida will loan you a test prop for a fee and shipping. Your local prop shop might as well.

nose down run flat jack plate helps I have 3 from 23 to 28 and a 31 Contender I prefer the parker to the Contender might sacrifice some speed and some ride but the fishability and drift and fuel economy better on the Parker

Back