HPDI Probelms.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
OK this is the first time I ever had a problem with my motor. The motor is a 2001 HPSI 175 hp.

Last week went to go fishing and when I reached the end of the dock I went to accelerate and she just bogged down and I could not get any rpm's out of her. It as like it was starving for gas. Made it back to the dock and noticed that the paper filter ( water separator ) appeared to be clogged. Pulled it apart and cleaned it with some carb cleaner. It didn't help. After that the motor wouldn't even start. Spoke to the mechanic he said if the paper filter was clogged the VST is definitely clogged. OK. I ordered all the filters, paper filter, VST Filter and the $80.00 metal filter. So we go down today to change all the filters. Change all the filters and the motor starts but only runs for a few seconds. Double check everything and all looks good. Speak to the mechanic again and he takes a quick look. He pulls the screw on the bottom of the VSt and tells me the float is stuck and not letting fuel in. Hmmm. we took it apart again and the needle was frozen in there. Using a pair of pliers we get it out. Cleaned it up and re-installed. Turn the key and she fires right up.. Great. Makes me very happy. We clean up and go for a ride. Once again I get to the end of the dock and try to accelerate and she just bogs down again. Not sure whats going on. I just ordered a new needle valve for the float i'm hoping that is sticking.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Does it sound like i'm on the right path?

Motor has about 299 hrs on it.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

PS Bad day for Parkers. While I was working on mine another one was being towed in and he just put a new moter in (I/O) his about 3 weekls agao. :(

Yamaha has diagnostic software to test the injectors and pump. You can buy it ex SIM Yamaha or contact a mechanic who has it. It might help after replacing filters and float and needle assembly
Andy at SIM has a THT vendor site and very helpful in troubleshooting issues and sells parts at a discount

I ran into a similar problem with a HPDI 250. Here is a suggestion: check low pressure fuel pumps. Here is a lift from a old post that I reported:
Now when I mentioned this to Andy, he recommended testing the low pressure fuel pumps, and even told me how to do it! Remove the 2 bolts holding them on the side of the block and squeeze the fuel bulb. Well I had Niagara Falls of fuel coming out of the signal hole on the pumps! Andy sent those quickly as well. BTW I performed the tests outlined in the OEM service manual, the pumps were still junk with porus diaphrams! I truely believe this is due to ethanol fuel deterioration.
(http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5325&highlight=)

The fuel pump diaphrams start leaking and don't pump fuel. As indicated before give Andy at Shipyard Island Marine a call. He is a terriffic help.
Hope this might help.

Mike2043":1vwmkt32 said:
Does it sound like i'm on the right path?

It does... but if your filters were that clogged and the needle valve too, I'm betting you might have fuel injectors that are gunked up as well.
Time to take a look at the entire fuel delivery system.

Do you use Ringfree or Star*Tron? If you have not in the past, this would be a good time to start.

Stopped off to get some Yamalube at Boat shop that speciliazes in Yamahas.

He sang the praise of Ring Free. Loaded me up ($$$) for an initial shock treatment.

As luck would have it, another customer came in while I was checking out. He just finished his initial treatment and said he had a marked improvement in performance.

So now with the cost of gas, yamalube and ring free...think I'll buy a sailboat. :lol:

Yamalube is a semi-synthetic oil. I use Penzoil full synthetic.
It costs more, but there is no smoke (even when cold).

When I bought my boat, I found the previous owner used absolutely no fuel amendments at all. :(
The O2 sensor was junk and the motor was all carbon'ed and salted up. He never flushed it either.
This is on a 1997 OX66...

These days, I use full synthetic oil, Ringfree, Star*Tron, and StaBil at every fill-up.
This motor as never run so strong...
When you can get a 4 ton boat to 33 kts with a full load of fuel, 4 people and all their gear aboard... you're doing something right. :wink:

Thanks guy's.
I am using Penzoil full synthetic oil, Ringfree, and StaBil.

The new needle valve will be here this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for all the info. If that's not it I will try all the above suggestions.

The only filter that looked really bad was the paper filter. The VST had some crap in it but not like I thought it would. I am kinda leaning towards this needle valve being the problem from the beginning. I am really hoping that's it.

I'll let you know when the new valve is in.

Well the new needle valve when in along with a new set of spark plugs. This did not cure the problem. I get to about 2700 - 2800 rpm and she just starts bogging and breaking up. I left the keys with the mechanic and told him to fix it. I figure there is no sense in just changing parts and wasting money. I'll let you know what he finds.

It will be interesting to see what the mechanic finds.
They have much better diagnostic equipment than most of us do.

Mike2043":c7xc0nxt said:
I left the keys with the mechanic and told him to fix it. I figure there is no sense in just changing parts and wasting money. .

Am I the only one that sees the humor in this?

So what was the issue? Fixed?

Just got a call from the mechanic. Yes at 9:45 pm. I was shocked. Anyways he found that a diaphragm in one of the low pressure fuel pumps has a tear in it. He tells me this with the age of my motors this will happen. Made my day. I was worried it was going to be the $800.00 high pressure pump. Hopefully that's the only problem and I can get back to fishing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. On another note, with all new filters in it my spring maintenance will be a lot shooter.

Not to be a spoiler, but hopefully the mechanic changed both low pressure fuel pumps? :shock: If one crapped out, the other might not be far behind, and once the labor is done to remove the stuff to gain access to the area, it doesn't take long to replace them both. The pumps themselves are under $40 each. My engine has been running strong for the last 3 years since replacement.

HM5":dv8s05jm said:
Not to be a spoiler, but hopefully the mechanic changed both low pressure fuel pumps? :shock: If one crapped out, the other might not be far behind, and once the labor is done to remove the stuff to gain access to the area, it doesn't take long to replace them both. The pumps themselves are under $40 each. My engine has been running strong for the last 3 years since replacement.

Yes, both are being changed.

Back