Hull Cleaner that works

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evetsmd

Reaction score
For the past 3 years I have been using Collinite's Heavy Duty Fleetwax #870 on the hull of my 2520XL. It's worked well and lasted the whole season. This year I have the typical Chesapeake Bay brown scum line showing just above the water line. I've tried Simple Green and Krud Kutter but it's not taking it off the way I'd hope.

Anyone have a product that they have had success with? I would think you should be able to spray something on, let it sit and then just wipe it off. I'm hoping I don't have to use any kind of abrasive to get this stuff off.

Thanks for any inputs!

Try Marykate "On and Off". It will literally melt away any organic material (slime, grass, scumline, brown stains, etc).

Simply spray on, wait, everything will come off easily. I believe the active ingredient is oxalic acid. Take care when using this stuff it is very powerful but really works well.

I have used Marykates On/Off on a sponge (with rubber gloves on) to get tough stains off the hull above the bottom paint. You have to be very careful though. On/Off can attack the bottom paint at the waterline if you are not careful with it. :shock:

For less trying stains, I've used Clorox Soft Scrub on a smoothie scotchbrite with great results.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner found at any grocery store for $2.99 works just as well as Marykate On/Off. Give it a try, it will take the scum line right off. Afterwards, clean and wax.

Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner is the BOMB!!!! Easy on your hands and safe for your trailer. I too have battled the dreaded brown stains and threw an arsenal of cleaners at it with no avail until I discovered StarBrite Instant Hull Cleaner. I have been using this for many years and you will be amazed. You can get it at Boaters World or Wal-Mart (for half the price). I put it in a spray bottle or wet a rag and wipe the area. Right before your eyes it will begin to disappear! No Scrubbing At All...You will surely regret all of your previous attempts with common household cleaners and realize this stuff is a must have for anyone who boats in our lovely Chesapeake Bay. The magic chemical is Oxalic Acid and is found in many other hull cleaners like Spray Nine Hull Cleaner.

I'll have to try Starbrite this year, if the hull gets dirty.

Spent part of the day yesterday waxing the boat.

A friend of mine suggested a really nice cleaner/wax that really ate through some of the small spots and polished it up nice. TR3 Resin Glaze... seemed to work really good and I've never seen a reflection like that in a boat hull before. Only problem now, you can see any and all deformities in the mold and structural braces. Amazing how the hull changed colors as soon as it was applied. Went from oxidized white, to the rich Parker gelcoat color. We purchased 2 high speed buffers (orbital) to do it. One to apply, one to remove after it dried.
End result was well worth the work.
If you are going through the trouble to clean your ride using Oxylic Acid, definitely put a good cleaner/wax on it afterwards. Oxylic Acid, even though it's gentle, will remove any wax as it penetrates the pours on the boat.
One last thing.. if you haven't waxed your boat in a while, keep going with the wax, all the way down one side and don't stop applying at a certain point. Be prepared to go down the entire side with a buffer. The wax will start to adhere to the gel and stopping will create a visible line. Blending is difficult, unless you re-wax the entire area.

Collinite pre wax boat cleaner is made for prepping boats before Fleetwax. It will remove stains without scratching.

I'll have to second Maxout's recommendation for Starbrite hull cleaner.

One year we went scalloping on the Steinhatchee river and the bottom of the boat turned brown from the tanic acid in the water. The Starbrite took it right off. Don't get any on the paint on the Armstrong bracket. If you do, wash it off immediately. The paint will tend to bleach or spot if you leave it on there for any length of time.

OK yesterday was wax the hull day and the yard that stores my boat uses and sells a product called "Y-10" for removal of the water line, brown stains we get on the Bay.

It's a gel that you brush on, wait a few minutes, and wipe off or rinse off with water.

I bought a jar ($10.85) and I'd give it a B+ rating. For real heavy stains, it took two applications. Can't complain about eventual outcome and it requires no work except for heavy stains be prepared to do multiple applications if your stains are bad.

Finish wax I used was Collinite, which in the past has lasted a whole season.

OK so just another input on what can work to clean ur hull.

Have a great day!

Don't let the sissy name fool you...Maykate will rip you a new one if you let her...

MaryKate "on and off" has done the job for me. Just keep the trailer constantly hosed down. Brush it on with a paintbrush and the stain will instantly disappear.

Latest posts

Back