Humminbird 946C 3-D Combo - Awesome 3D Images!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's right, I used Humminbird and awesome in the same sentence! Before you think I've been sniffin' resin fumes, listen up. This is -not- your Uncle’s Walmart blue-light special freshwater bass fish finder. This is one serious tool!

Humminbird has been making fishfinders for more than thirty years, and they just about invented the recreational sonar genre. These guys really know their multiple-transducer array technology.

I found a Humminbird 947C 3-D Combo unit at West Marine for half-price, as it was last year's closeout model. It is also a GPS chartplotter and I picked up Navionics Platinum for the chartplotter side, but was mainly interested in the 3-D depth contouring capability. If it performed even half as well as advertised, I would be satisfied. After all, things never really work as well as they show in the pictures on the box! I had no idea how awesome this unit would turn out to be. Here’s the Humminbird website photo of this units advertised capabilities.

947CDisplay.jpg

We don't fish. For us it's all about diving, and we take it seriously. My Dad and I have been at it for forty years straight since 1967. My kids joined us about five years ago. We've got three generations in the water just about every weekend in the summer.

3GenerationsBelow1.jpg

For divers, knowing where the best bottom structures are is key. You can save lots of time if you can “prequalify” a bottom before suiting up and committing to a dive. Over the years we have been using traditional 2D sonar units to interpret prospective dive sites. Finding a tool like this 3D sonar unit is a very important breakthrough for us.

The transducer unit was a bit awkward. Because it contains an internal array of six transducers, it is a formidable size. It has the same shape and is just a tad smaller than the Admiral's Rowenta Spray-Steam Iron! :shock:

I decided to mount it as a shoot-through hull unit in the bilge. For a transducer of this size, there really is only one spot in a 2520 bilge that will accommodate the installation. As you can see, I do not qualify for Megabyte’s Clean Bilge Club. :oops:

transducer.jpg

I was unsure what the 14 degree deadrise in the bilge of my 2520MV would do to the 3D image, so I decided to level the playing field by building a custom "shoe" under the transducer to counteract the deadrise. I used a can of plumbers putty to create a form around the location of the transducer in the bilge. I prepared the bilge by cleaning and wiping with Acetone.

plumber.jpg

Then I mixed a half-cup of standard-cure West System epoxy and poured it into the shoe mold. The mixture self-leveled and cured into a level base for the transducer which was then attached to the cured shoe with another thin coat of epoxy.

ducerputty.jpg

Don't worry, the plumbers putty was removed, and no bilge pump equipment was harmed in the filming of this sequence. :roll:

paddlewheel.jpg

The unit has an optional paddlewheel speed and temp sensor that I attached to the transom on a piece of Mahogany that I glued to the transom with 5200.

Took the unit out today for a shakedown and it was Fantastic! The images are much better than I could have ever hoped for. There was no bottom "breakaway" up to WOT. :lol:

wall.jpg

The image above shows a split screen with the traditional 2D image on the left, and the 3D image on the right. Unbelievable detail!

matrix.jpg

The technology works by taking the output from the six transducer array, including the data from the “overlap” cone area between each two adjacent transducers, and creating an 11-segment matrix frame of the area under the transducer.

interesting.jpg

Here is an area (above) that we have been traveling over for many years, but never noticed the very interesting cone-shaped and vertical structures on the bottom. You can be sure we will be back once the water warms up a bit to see what these items really are.

twounits1.jpg

I mounted the Humminbird right next to my laptop chartplotter on the dash. The Navionics Platinum chartplotter built in to the Humminbird is a wonderful unit, but I still prefer the Garmin Blue Charts for their detail and presentation. I will use the Navionics as a backup, and of course to mark the location of any “interesting” bottom details.

Here is the split-screen with Navionics and the 3D sounder.

chartplot.jpg

As a side-note, I discovered that the new version of Garmin MapSource software that came with my BlueChart version 9.0 does –not- support the use of a PC for real-time chartplotting.

Perhaps Garmin thought that PC use was cutting in to their sales of GPS units. I had to roll back to an earlier version of MapSource to enable real-time tracking with my BlueChart 9.0.

laptop.jpg

This is a fantastic tool for divers. Fisherman might also like the bottom detail if they are after a groundfish species, like fluke.

wall.jpg

Love your posts. Great play by play on the shoot thru install.....they are so easy and work so well. As you said, can't wait for the water to warm up so you can verify the accuracy of the presentation. Very cool stuff.

jim

Cbigma, how has that transducer performed for you so far? I am thinking of doing the same thing with the Humminbird 1197SI transducer. I really don't want to hang anything off my transom. Thanks!

Dom,

So far so good. After a full season, still rock solid in the bilge. Still performing well, even up to WOT with no breakaway. :D I love it when stuff works exactly the way manufacturers claim it will.

Before I stumbled across the 946C on closeout I was headed for an SI unit and did lots of searching on the subject of mounting the SI transducers. I too, did not want to mess with trying to mount it on the transom because of all the warnings about "side view angle" and all.

What I found was there were folks that had successfully mounted the SI transducers in the bilge, as long as there was no core. Since we have solid glass, I was convinced that was the way to go. 8) 8)

Good luck and post lots of pictures! We need to keep adding to the CP Knowlegebase!

....John

So I can just do the same thing with the SI tranducer? Wow. Thats good to know. Thanks John!

Dom,

There's a friendly bunch of SI Enthusiasts out on Yahoo Groups

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

There are some guys there who have successfully mounted an SI transducer in the bilge. I think there may be some special "tweaks" you need to do to more completely align the SI transducer vertically. I poured a self-leveling "shoe" to go under my 3D transducer, but you may need something different due to the characteristics of the SI transducer beam.

I would start by sending some inquires off to the Moderators of the Yahoo SI group. They work directly for Humminbird, and would have the best info.

John

Back