Hurricane Sandy

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windknotnc

Reaction score
Looks like we has seen the worst of the wind in our part of Eastern Carolina. Hope you guys from Chesapeake to Jersey have your stuff buttoned up. Good luck !!

Managed to ride out the storm at the dock here on the south shore of Long Island, made it down there at low tide this am, and all looks good will know more tomorrow afternoon. Boats on dry dock in the neighboring marine all floated off their stands, what a mess they are all over the place.

Attachments

• hurricane sandy.jpg
    hurricane sandy.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,252
From out here on the West Coast, it looks like many of your areas were hammered by Sandy. I pry that you are all OK and that your property and boats made it through this truly nasty storm.

Very minor damage to the house and a ton of debris in the yard, but we came out OK.
Generator worked flawlessly, and I kept the street drains clear of leaves through the storm, so no issues there.

I decided to leave the boat in her slip and prepared her lines accordingly.
Had to rig fenders to protect the hull sides from the anticipated swings in surge, slosh, and tides.
Absolutely no damage to the boat, and the bilge counters all read zero activations for the whole event.
This is one strong, tight boat.

As you can see, the water level was up yesterday.
Water did make it over the fixed docks on two occasions, but there was no damage that I could see.

Attachments

• DayAfter.jpg
    DayAfter.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 1,176
I lucked out, this was as high as it got in Back River, Baltimore county. I had the boat pulled on Saturday, one less thing to worry about. I see where new york and long Island got hammered, was just up there for a visit and had lunch along the nautical mile, I here it really took a beating

Attachments

• IMAG0924.jpg
    IMAG0924.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1,166
Hoping for the best, My boat is inland parked on trailer in Ocean View NJ three miles from ocean city on Great Bay side.
Hope to see if boat is not damaged beyond repair!
Next year I will tow my boat to my vacation home in Wiscasset, Maine. I have many decades fishing memories
on the Jersey shore from Raritan Bay to Cape May!

Prayers go out to all that suffer from Hurricane Sandy. Things are replacable people aren't. Hopefully, I can get to my boat this weekend.

Attachments

• peter4.JPG
    peter4.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,093
I was lucky too. Tried to get the boat pulled but had to let it ride on the mooring. Amazingly there was no damage not even a scratch.

I didn't make out so well. Lost the down stairs to my house again basically a mirror image of last year with Irene. I thought the boat made it ok I pulled it out of the water upon further investigating, the starboard side window slid open during the storm allowing all the rain and water to come into the Pilot house getting all my electronics soaked, the motor cover also popped open allowing water to get inside the motor. I have dried everything out, gonna try and fire the motor today and see what electronics still work. Put a call into the insurance company. We will see what happens this afternoon, just about sick of these hurricanes time to make a move out of here! :evil:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those that were hit by Sandy. We were in Key West as it came by and all we got was a light rain and plenty of wind. All the boats there were in safe harbor since conditions there were breezy long before Sandy arrived, it was hard to find lobster for sale. We could not believe the damage that was caused by a cat 1 hurricane, must be the difference of the oceans as a greater amount of water will rise more under low pressure? Watching TV reports I saw a Parker between two houses and will post a pic took from screen. I fear as time passes we will hear of more misfortune, this is nothing new to our nation, and as a nation we will stand more united and stronger for it! God bless

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3730.JPG
    Copy of IMG_3730.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 968
miky2884":1f35jmkl said:
I didn't make out so well. Lost the down stairs to my house again basically a mirror image of last year with Irene. I thought the boat made it ok I pulled it out of the water upon further investigating, the starboard side window slid open during the storm allowing all the rain and water to come into the Pilot house getting all my electronics soaked, the motor cover also popped open allowing water to get inside the motor. I have dried everything out, gonna try and fire the motor today and see what electronics still work. Put a call into the insurance company. We will see what happens this afternoon, just about sick of these hurricanes time to make a move out of here! :evil:

Sorry to hear Mike, hope all turns out well with the house and boat..

Sorry to hear of the misfortune some of you had. We got hit pretty hard in North Jersey. In Point Pleasant, at our marina, most of the boats left in the water did well, including mine. Not a scratch. Unfortunately for the boats winterized and on blocks or pulled out for the storm didn't do so well. Water was so high, it floated most of the stored boats off their blocks. Boats, trees and houses are in places they're not supposed to be in Bay Head and Point Pleasant, NJ. Same story with many of our coastal towns. Very sad to see.

Attachments

• DSC04486.JPG
    DSC04486.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 931
Bryan 2530":3b9fez27 said:
John_Madison CT":3b9fez27 said:
I rode it out in the water..........luckily the storm surge didn't materialize like they said otherwise I'd be a very depressed dude right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSaVhYiE8k

Are you kidding John?????

This was the worst flooding since '38, we got hammered. Flooded 2 houses again.

Boat OK though.

We got lucky Bryan. I honestly thought the storm surge would have made the damage 10x what it was. That's not to minimize what happened. Many of our CT friends got hurt terribly.

The surge was initially expected to be about 4-5' worse than it ended up being. Thank God that didn't happen.

Mike and Brian

I was wondering how you guys faired, sorry to hear that you got wacked again

Steve , Passing Thru,

SCL":vvgllau6 said:
Mike and Brian

I was wondering how you guys faired, sorry to hear that you got wacked again

Steve , Passing Thru,

Thanks Steve, We'll rebuild again!!

Got lucky, so far as we can tell. Brought out new to us 23 DVCC back to Waretown, Nj, end of september. Working 7/12s, so had the marina winterize and shrink wrap her. She was sitting on her trailer, approx 30-40 yds away from the bulkhead/slip, facing north. After the surge, got turned 45 degrees to the west, and pushed in that direction approx 20 yds or so. Stayed on trailer, and finally got to see both sides this morning. Seems like there are some scuff marks on starboard side, and some torn shrink wrap. Insurance adjuster is having the shrink wrap removed to inspect the whole boat before settling, but, it looks fairly good right now. I wish I could say the same for the marina owner and his wife. Looks like they are losing their house and bait shop. Side note, heard that the waters in Barnegat bay and inlet are closed as of 2pm this afternoon, looters using boats, being the problem.

Had my 2520 Parker pulled out 2days before Sandy. I have been told by my yard man it's fine was on trailer. Boats left in Brightwaters marina seems to be fine but lots of flooding. Although some boats did get killed in Bay Shore. House fine no power for nine days. Getting auto standby gas generator.

Back