Hydraulic Steering

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmayjr

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,
I own a 2004 2320 with Hydraulic Steering. The other day while doing working on the motor, I went to turn the wheel, and it was frozen in its position. When I applied a little force I heard a snap. The motor would turn in only one direction and not the other. I opened the vent at the wheel and fluid came out. I went back to it about an hour later and it started to turn, but clicked a little. A while after that I checked the vent again, and added fluid, as it needed a little. Now it turns, and doesn't click anymore. Should I anticipate a problem with the steering this season? Thanks.
Tom

Sounds to me like it could have been 'low' on fluid and one of the check valves might have been stuck. There was a recall on some Teleflex helms a few years ago for faulty check valves. Also the clicking you heard is really hydraulic oil being bubbled and compressed as it's going through the helm so you do have air in your system.

To check for the right amount of fluid:
With the cap closed, turn wheel all way slowly to one side. Open the cap. Look at the fluid level. For helms mounted +/- 20 degrees of horizontal the fluid should just touch the bottom of the cap threads. For helms mounted +/- 20 degrees of vertical the fluid should be 1/2" below the bottom of the cap threads.

Adding fluid:
Dribble some in slowly. Put cap on, SLOWLY turn wheel all the way over to the other side. Slowly open the cap to VENT it (rock sideways a bit while threads are loose and before fully removed), then check the level. Repeat ... repeat ... and go SLOW so as not to 'froth' the fluid and introduct MORE air into your system.

To check for air:
Turn other way, slowly, and vent/open the cap and remember what way you were turning the wheel. Look at the level, apply hard turning force in the same direction and watch the oil. If she drops - you have air in the system.

You can bleed per Teleflex's system, or slowly turn from 1 side to the other, and keep venting the cap. Yes, this takes time and you'll build up your forearms, but it is a 'cheap' way, less time, to remove air out of the system. That said, if you have an air bubble right up against a piston on the steering cylinder, you have no choice but to purge it.

Thanks Dale,
Quick question. How in Gods name do you know so much about each and every problem? I'll have to print that out and go by the numbers. Thanks again!
Tom

tjmayjr":18qob9d7 said:
Quick question. How in Gods name do you know so much about each and every problem?
Probably because I ran into it before ;) ... But actually I was blessed with my upbringing. My Dad would buy old boats and havng 4 sons, we'd refurbish it as needed - new planks, new hardware, motor work, et al, whatever it needed. Then growing up my brothers and I aways had skiffs and small boats about. My Parker was the 3rd old(er) boat I've bought and refurbished.

As of this season, between the 4 of us, there are something like 10 boats and 12 outboards ;) in the 'fleet'.

Let me throw in my 2 cents in and share in something that I found. This is a slightly different problem then you have.

I have a 2003 Parker and had experienced the same symptoms where it would turn in one direction but not the other. And then I would get the clicking that you described. I too would open the vent, add fluid, etc ... and get her working again. But in my case, I kept finding fluid leaking from my vent plug. Not a lot but enough to perplex me.

To make a long story short, what I discovered was that the vent plug actually jammed up. And the pressure build up was forcing air back through the system and the oil through the threads at the helm. The vent plug has some rubber diaphragm in there that absorbs the pressure and then releases it through holes on the side. It wasnt servicable so I replaced the plug.

So my advice to you, take a look at your vent plug just for kicks. It may not be your problem now but could happen down the road.

Back