Hydrofoil on 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyo

Reaction score
I have an 1801 withh 115 yamaha. It is a bit heavy in the back and planes at about 13 mph. Anyone use a hydrofoil? Any thoughts? Part of me says "if it aint broke, don't fix it".I like the boat just fine as is but was wondering if it could be better.

Just posted on my experiance with hydrofoils in the projects forum. There are also several threads on the subject. Bottom line, they certainly work as advertised from my experiance.

I have the 2120 SC with the F150 and I installed the SE 300 from West Marine. To keep my boat on plane and to cut porpoising down to a comfortable leval I was having to stuff the motor and trim tabs all the way down. Now it planes comfortabley with the motor at about 50%.

Most people I've spoke with give nothing but rave reviews on the foils but as usual they will fight over which one is best.

I just took my "new" 1801 out today for first run (just bought it today). it has 115 johnson and has hydrofoil. Works great getting boat down to plan out of the hole. Prev. owner putt it on since he has a 35 gal live well in back infront of motor.

Very little porpoising, and smoth ride.

xsailor8":1nqe8o49 said:
whats the thought about hydrofoils being bad for the transom?
I thinks it's baloney, myself. Only 'damage' I've seen is when someone stepped onto one, usng it as a step, and broke off the vent plate on that side of the OB.

To me, whatever lifting force the OB may be addied to the transom is far outweighed by the forward thrust already being imparted to the transom.

DaleH":31x47ia6 said:
xsailor8":31x47ia6 said:
whats the thought about hydrofoils being bad for the transom?
I thinks it's baloney, myself. Only 'damage' I've seen is when someone stepped onto one, usng it as a step, and broke off the vent plate on that side of the OB.

To me, whatever lifting force the OB may be addied to the transom is far outweighed by the forward thrust already being imparted to the transom.

Have to agree with Dale on that one. If the transom were built such that all it would take would be a foil to break the camels back we should probably be buying stronger boats in the first place. Have actually never entertained the thought that the transom wouldnt take a hydrofoil.

A dis-advantage to the hydrofoil is if you ever get into really shallow water where you need to lift the drive up to keep from churning muck. The foil will actually drag the stern deeper in that situation.
I had an 1801 for 3 years and agree it's stern heavy....but I think you'd do better to spend the extra bucks and put on tabs....would also help the ride when the passengers have the boat weighted heavy on one side.

Back