I hate pulling wires

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondoggle

Reaction score
One roll of electricians tape and copious amounts of wire lube later I finally got the new HDS 7 gen 2 structure scan bundle installed on my 1801.

Now that I have my whining done, I have a question for the Classic Parker brain trust. Aside from a clamshell and 5200, what other options do y'all recommend to make watertight the new 1 1/4 hole cut for power, transducer and ethernet cables?

Protect the core 1st! Drill hole a tad oversize and wet out the wood core w/ waterproof epoxy, even if only 5-min type, but MUST BE waterproof mix.

FYI, they do make sealable grommets that are watertight, where the cable goes thru a gland/membrane. Though one could fill the clamshell w/ a sealing (non-adhesive) goop, like LifeSeal.

... posted during lunch ...

5200 is a serious adhesive. Many people use it where a simple sealant is all that's needed. I have seen more parts (and gelcoat) ruined during removal because they were mounted with 5200 adhesive.
Some good marine bedding / sealants are Dow 795, Rule elastomeric, Sika-flex, and Life Caulk / seal as Dale mentioned.

TWOBOATER":19yqt86z said:
5200 is a serious adhesive. Many people use it where a simple sealant is all that's needed. I have seen more parts (and gelcoat) ruined during removal because they were mounted with 5200 adhesive.
Some good marine bedding / sealants are Dow 795, Rule elastomeric, Sika-flex, and Life Caulk / seal as Dale mentioned.

10-4 on That......I'll add one....3M 4000UV

There are Soooooooooooooo many novices that use 5200 exclusively.

There is ONLY One place I use it.......Mounting a engine bracket......and even then I finish the edges off with 4000UV, because it does NOT Yellow like 5200.

warthog5":3k0vx2fj said:
TWOBOATER":3k0vx2fj said:

10-4 on That......I'll add one....3M 4000UV

There are Soooooooooooooo many novices that use 5200 exclusively.

There is ONLY One place I use it.......Mounting a engine bracket......and even then I finish the edges off with 4000UV, because it does NOT Yellow like 5200.

I agree.
I have used 5200 on my through hulls, but that is because they were below the waterline and I never figured they would ever need to be be removed again.

DaleH":2zl8csgz said:
Protect the core 1st! Drill hole a tad oversize and wet out the wood core w/ waterproof epoxy, even if only 5-min type, but MUST BE waterproof mix.

This was done as soon as I pried the plug out of the hole saw.

1002.jpg

I'll be using this cable clam.

boondoggle":196hh1vt said:
DaleH":196hh1vt said:

This was done as soon as I pried the plug out of the hole saw.

1002.jpg

I'll be using this cable clam.

Good choice. :)

I use a lot of those....I dislike the look of clam shells stuffed with silicone that I see a lot of.

But on a transom you want the cable to turn 90degs and not have a loop sticking out, because something is gonna grab that loop...sooner or later.

Back