Icom504 and LCX27 installed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougP

Reaction score
Installed the Icom 504 and LCX 27 on ram mounts, led courtesy lights on each side of the console, bow chocks and 12v plug on dash over the weekend.

A couple of issues I had was connecting the gps to vhf wires. I connected to many wires and had to rewire it today to get the gps to talk to the vhf. Then I had to adjust the time on the vhf. I took a WAG and started punching buttons until I saw something about setting time. I need to check it Tuesday after work to make sure it accepts the time.

I used the yellow wire from gps and connected to the red wire on the vhf then connected the common ground to each unit. Hope this helps someone doing the same. I went nuts trying to understand what they were trying to say in the instructions. Of course they took Monday off so you couldnt call and ask tech support.

I tried using the gps antenna mount with the ram mount system. I ended up removing the gps antenna from the mounting plate behind the gps and laying it on the dash to get a signal from above. So now i have to install the antenna on a rail mount.

I just laid the transducer cable over the bilge wall <lack> and pulled it to the center console access hole.

When I went to connect the courtesy light 12v+ to the switch panel I found Parker had attached a brown wire with blue stripe to the post. Couldn't figure out what it was supposed to turn on because the boat has no factory courtesy lights. I moved it to one of the accessory switches. Of course Parker left all the easy to reach negative connections available to the customer :? But I finally got all the negatives connected :shock:

It was a chore and the wife, now 1st mate, was a champ with helping me install all this stuff and kept reminding me we were saving money by doing it ourselves.

Attachments

• vhfgps6 (Medium).JPG
    vhfgps6 (Medium).JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 784
Doug, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if someone isn't what is the point of this website ? This is my 2 cents. FWIW, I've been doing this for like 40 years (I'm 47).

Your installation has some serious flaws. First, I'm not sure why you mounted your electronics on such long "swivel mounts" given the height of that console. Also, it appears that you have crimped connections in plain exposure to the elements and wires / coax dangling all over the palce. You might want to tuck that mike in somewhere out of where the spray will fly as well.

Lot's of good info on this thread, C'Mon let's help this guy out with constructive ideas...

Thank you for your reply.

I am open to suggestions on the crimped connections. I want to be able to remove the items when I am not at home so some dip$hit doesn't steal my stuff.

Those connections are for the 0183 to talk to the vhf. That and the power connection I used a male/female connector like a 4 pole trailer light connector. I am limited on experience on installing this stuff but know I can do it and not pay $100.00 an hour for the shop to do it either.

I used the ram mounts so I only have one set of holes to drill into the dash if I change out units later and dont end up with several diffent holes in the dash and have it looking like swiss cheese.

As for the mic being mounted in that location. It is inside the windshield area and I am not as concerned about it as I am the connections you mentioned. The radio is waterproof and so should the mic.

Chime in if you have better ideas to use waterproof connections and still be able to remove the electronics with ease!

Thanks

Running the wires through Blue Sea Cable Clamps into the top of your console will clean up that installation. If you must use butt connectors, get the ones with heat shrink. Better solustion is solder and heat shrink tubing over the joint.

http://bluesea.com/category/9/productline/overview/1

Attachments

• Cable clamp.jpg
    Cable clamp.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 760
That grommet is pretty slick, another good reason to be a forum member - lots of good info and examples!

HM5, thanks I like that cable clamp, will look for it at west marine.

optimax, I have not checked to see if the electronics interfer with compass operation. I plan on buying a handheld gps and vhf for back up as well. Thanks for the heads up on that.

At this time I connected the negatives to the bus bar in the console and it is working. For the positive side I placed the glass fuse on the bus bar, i think it was a 10 or 15 amp fuse, then I used the supplied inline fuse from Lowrance to connect to the positive post on the bus bar. We will see how that works out. I put dielectric grease on all connections and heat shrinked as many of the connections that I could. I plan on putting all the wires in split loom to clean the look of it up a bit.

I fish mostly fresh water, Canyon Lake is only a mile from my house. We get to the Gulf Coast as much as we can and if the weather and water is good we will venutre offshore. Our last boat was a 19' Blue Wave, not exactly made for offshore but I did go out on "flat calm" days a couple of times. I hope this boat will make the wife feel safer about going out past the jetties and beyond. I believe it will :D

optimaxfish, my wife said you didnt mention if your wife went 30 miles out on the boat :lol:

Will this work?

Can I use this to connect the 0183 wires from GPS to VHF and the 12v +/-? it is waterproof and used in automotive applications. It would eliminate the crimped connections and pretty much seal everything up.

there has to be an electrical guru on the board somewhere. Please chime in.

Attachments

• 4 pin connection.doc
    31 KB · Views: 19
Those are Weatherpack style connectors used on newer automotive applications,(80's on up). Cummins also used them in the wiring harness on the V12's in the ferry boat I work on. If you have the special tools that are required to work with these, GO for it :D

Thanks to HM5 for the suggestion. installed 4 today before i took the boat in for 10hr service. will finish the touch ups this weekend.

I did locate a better way to have quick disconnects so I can take the units off when not at home. post that one later

great people with a wealth of knowledge on this site.

thanks to all

Attachments

• DSCF0022 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0022 (Medium).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 386
Those Blue Seas cable things are slick. I modded one to use for sealing around a steering cable on my old boat.

I just wish they came in black and/or stainless. IMHO the white looks like crap when you put it up against off-white gelcoat. :? I painted the one I had with Krylon plastic paint, but it didn't hold up very well.

Back